2.1 Native Support not working

Hey I am fairly new to Ardour, music editing, and OSX but from what I’ve done with Ardour 2.05 and Mac I am quite happy. However, I downloaded the 2.1 package which is supposed to have native OSX support but when I copied Ardour2 from the 2.1 mount, it didnt seem to upgrade Ardour properly. I double clicked the Ardour link in Applications and directly from the mounted 2.1 package, and it loaded X11 started up and then Ardour inside of it. I am not sure what I did wrong. Do I have to uninstall the old Ardour? I am new to Mac so what files do I have to remove if I want to do a complete uninstall of Ardour2.05? Otherwise I really like your product so far! Thank you!

Also, even though I am running it through X11, it says under the about menu that it is Ardour 2.1 so I guess it is 2.1 but running through X11? I’m sorry if this is a really stupid question, like there’s some option I have to change or something.

2.1? The link on the announcement page for 2.1 doesn’t go anywhere. 2.05 is still the last listed stable release on the downloads page.

Nothing on the website has provided a link to a native OS X package yet. There has been mention that they exist and are being tested. When we believe they are ready, we will announce it very clearly.

I have updated the link on the download page. The link on the announcement/front page seems functional from here.

To uninstall Ardour, just move Ardour2.app to the trash. Ardour2.app will be wherever you put it, and is represented by the Ardour red icon/logo.

OK. Thanks.

You might stop by the chat room #ardour on irc.freenode.net. Observe the topic in the chatroom

~bennyp

I tried installing v2.1 on my laptop (OSX10.4.10) but it wants Jack. Did I misunderstand, I thought Jack & X11 were lumped in with this.

Thank you.

There are two “All in one” packages (for PPC and Intel), I believe these have everything required.

/J\

Hmm, it says “The current stable release is a universal DMG for OS X 10.4.x:
Ardour-2.1.dmg”

I see the links you mean, for PPC & Intel, but they are for older versions.

I thought built-in Jack and X11 were only a feature of the latest Ardour.

?

Yes, as it says on that page:

“For the first time, we will be releasing a native OS X version of Ardour that does not require X11 (or JACK, for that matter, since the package includes JACK). These are still beng tested, and will be released as soon as we believe they will work on most people’s systems.
Because they are still being tested there isn’t a link on that page but I am sure there will be when Paul is happy that it works nicely for as many people as possible. However, if you want to help test the packages you should see the topic of the IRC channel as bennyp mentioned above. I don’t think it would be right to give the links here as if he had wanted to Paul would have done so already.

When I read this I thought the 2.1 download would include OS X support:

A few brand new features, including native (X11-free) OS X support, and a heap of important bug fixes, are there to make the upgrade worth your time.

Did I misunderstand this? I downloaded 2.1 and fired it up thinking that X11 would not start, but it did. I’m excited about the native support, and I’m not complaining. I just read this and got excited. Thanks for a great app!!!

That’s 2.1 with X11. The All-in-One version hasn’t been released yet. It’s still being tested,and when it is ready, they’ll put a link up. The End.

The 2.1 release does support building for “native OSX” and you can have that now if you are prepared to build from the source, this is, however, probably not recommended for the less technical. It is just the pre-compiled packages that have not been officially released.