Full screen not working - Ubuntu 16.04

Does anyone else have the problem that the “Maximize Editor/Mixer Space” toggles in Ardour 5.6 do not work to implement full-screen in Ubuntu 16.04? F11 does nothing. Other apps like Google Chrome and Document Viewer go into full screen mode just fine.

What matters is what window manager you use.

Also, what screen-size are you using? If the Ardour window itself is already larger (Preferences > Appearance > Font/UI scaling) than the desktop, maximize and full-screen won’t work.

OK thanks! I was able to get to full screen via scaling. I think the window manager is just the stock Unity one whatever that may be. I dialled down the Font/UI scaling and was able to go into full screen (the bottom of the window was not fitting beforehand). But then, interestingly, while in full screen mode, I was able to dial back up the scaling to the original size that I wanted and everything looks good (fits on screen - with shrunken plugin space). After exiting full screen, I was then not able to get back into full screen until I scaled the UI back down again. Also, the scaling always said 100% no matter where I moved the slider.

So I gather that Ardour looks at whether the current size of the screen already fits rather than whether it will fit after entering into full screen. This also seems linked to the size of the plugin vertical space which grows very large when getting out of full screen but stays small when I scale up and I am already inside full screen. I realize a restart is recommended to re-layout the app.

Should I file a feature request or bug report for this? I noticed others have had some related struggles in the past. Perhaps there could be a preference switch to turn off the size checking for full screen mode. And/or a way to control the size of the plugin or slider vertical space without restart? Or an auto-shrinking feature for plugin or slider space if the window is too big (vertically). Or perhaps some vertical scrollbars in either mode (full screen or no – many times I am recording on a laptop without access to a mouse).

“So I gather that Ardour looks at whether the current size of the screen already fits rather than whether it will fit after entering into full screen”

nope. It’s the Desktop’s window-manager does that. Ardour plays no part in this.