diplaying timecode in region

as Ardour can use bwf files with timecode it would be nice to see it in the region properties or best
in the region
when working with video (with original timecode in the frame)
it would be helpful to resync region

You don’t need to see it to resync it. Right click on the region, go to its name, then Position > Move to Original Position.

BWF timecode is a property of a file; Regions are just a part of a file (possibly all of it), so it doesn’t make total sense to actually display the timecode for the file in every region. We could display the offset position for that particular region, but for what? You should not be able to edit it at the region level, so the only use is the one given by “Move to original position”.

Also, the vast majority of users of the vast majority of all DAWs, including Ardour, work with files that do not have a useful BWF timestamp, so taking up space to display what is essentially useless (lacking) information seems questionable.

Hope this helps.

I can think of a couple of workflows where seeing the original timecode can be helpful.

When you record the same show for several nights and need to edit the best parts together. Now you have several takes of the same piece of music that were performed at slightly different times each night.

When you work with a drama show you shoot for four to five weeks during the same time of the day. Now the video will be edited and your audio timestamps no longer correspond with the timeline in the Ardour - session. Now you have hundreds of clips recorded during the same time of the day belonging to different takes of different scenes in the show.

Seeing the original timestamp helps one see which audio files belong to the same take (exactly same start time) and helps group these together and adjust sync.

There is a reason you can show this info on the clips in Pro Tools :slight_smile:

when you have a video editing with the sound coming from the camera and you have to sync the original sound coming from a multitrack recorder
being able to read the timecode of the beginning of the file but the timecode of the beginning of the region or of the playhead when selecting the region would be useful
For instance i have to resync a short video sequence taken in a one hour multitrack recording
may be i’am the only one trying to do this kind of thing with Ardour

sorry it’s difficult for me to find the right words in english

i really like Ardour / Mixbus and would be pleased to have new features

I have a session coming from a video editor with the sound of the camera
( a mix coming from a multitrack recorder via a transmiter)
i could import the session via an aaf file with ardourxchange
now i want to sync the bwf files coming from the multitrack recorder
the files from the camera and from the multitrack don’t have neither the same length or names

my session begins at 01:00:00:00
original timecode of the first edit 22:33:15:18
beginning of the sound file 21:58:43:23
second edit at 01:00:25:10
original timecode 15:25:18:09
beginning of the sound file 15:22:10:24

i have on the screen the timecode of the timeline and the original timecode of the shooting (it was even possible with video tape editing vitc and ltc)
so i can go back to the original medium or sync a file coming from another recorder.

i feel it would be much more easier to be able to read the original timecode of the region (as in protools)
once the sync is done i don’t need to see this timecode.
the original position is the position where i first import the file it just may be the original timestamp

i have tried to import some protools session with a lot problems where do i report it?

Bugs go to http://tracker.ardour.org/ (unfortunately a separate login from this site). But there is not a lot of focus on bugs at this point in development. Our PT import support was all written by one developer, who might (or might not) be willing to look into your problems.

"Original position" in Ardour means "if the region is derived from a file with a timecode stamp, the position of the region relative to that timecode stamp; if no timecode stamp is available, then the current region positon".

If you import the files into Ardour but Ardour is not set to use BWF, then the copies inside Ardour will not have timcode (because regular WAV etc. do not have timecode data). If you avoid the copy (an option during import) then you'll just be using the original files, with their own timecode. You can choose where to place the imported regions, but that doesn't override their "original position" based on timecode.

Anyway, right now there's no development underway focused on issues like this. File a feature request and it might get looked at in the future.