Binding MIDI controller Novation Launchpad Mini MKII

Ardour 5.12.0

I am trying to make a MIDI bindings map for Novation Launchpad Mini MKII, but I am getting no reaction from the transport controls.

Here’s my MIDI binding map so far, very simple:

<ArdourMIDIBindings version="1.0.0" name="Novation LaunchPad Mini MKII">
<!-- Transport controls -->
<Binding channel="1" ctl="109" function="transport-start"/>
<Binding channel="1" ctl="110" function="transport-stop"/>
</ArdourMIDIBindings>

Here I’m trying to map 2 controller buttons to the transport. I’ve traced the input in HEX code and converted them to decimals as this guide suggests: http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/generic-midi/midi-binding-maps/

I’ve picked my map in the generic MIDI protocol settings, and even restarted Ardour. Running it from commandline gives me no errors, the log is clean too.

I am getting reactions from the Launchpad, I can play MIDI notes, and it’s routed to the Ardour MIDI control in.

Can anyone tell me what I’m missing here?

What data does the Launchpad send from the buttons you are using, on press and on release?

Controller button down: Controller 7f
Controller button up: Controller 00

Note button down: NoteOn 7f
Note button up: NoteOff 40

Hi!

I’m new to Ardour and just about to get Launchpad Mini, and I stumbled upon this topic while searching for info on compatibility of those.
So if you didn’t give up, I might be able to join your effort, if you like. :slight_smile:

Back to your question, as far as I understand, the two functions you picked might look like they do nothing. “transport-start” moves the playhead to the start marker, rather than starts rolling (“transport-roll”). Maybe that’s the problem?

I found a Launchpad MK2 programmers reference guide but there seems to be none for Mini. Oh well.

That was the answer! I guess I didn’t understand the documentation back then. :sweat_smile: