Sound Blaster 1140 ( Works in Linux )

Hi,

Only just joined this group. But random find of the day. Turns out USB Sound Card Sound Blaster by Creative model 1140
Works find as plug and play. Tested in Adour, and no issues what so ever. !

Hi Mike. Thank you for your reply. I am aware latency is not a measure of quality. I was asking about the latency for that particular card because of it being an inexpensive card. If it can do low latency (not all audio interfaces can), it would be great to use for virtual instrument PCs in a rack, perhaps two 1140 cards per PC in a single rack space unit. I recently acquired three single space rack mount computers and have been wanting to convert them to dedicated Qsynth/LinuxSampler PCs running Fedora Linux. I just have not found anything cheap enough and high enough quality to do this. If the 1140 is no better than on-board motherboard audio chips, regarding latency, then this product would be useless to me. If it can do low latency however, I may be purchasing 6 of them soon to populate these computers.

Ok - sounds like an interesting project.

Looks like the best this interface can do is between 26-100ms latency. Oh well.

It may work, but can it do low latency? From the specs, it appears to only do 16 bit at 48Khz. That should be good enough, as long as it can do low latency, which would be a pleasant surprise.

It may work, but can it do low latency?..
Just for reference: Latency is not a measure of quality, and, dependent on the particular use case is sometimes the least important consideration. Correct management of latency is important and an entirely different matter. For PC based audio (where it is inherently more difficult to guarantee consistent realtime performance) better general advice would be to use the highest latency consistent with achieving a particular workflow. For example, if you are mixing / mastering you can probably choose much higher latency (and therefore achieve lower CPU usage as well as more reliable playback without any usability side-effects) than e.g. if you are using virtual instruments in a live setting.