Adding new control surfaces to Ardor

Hi, I’m wondering how one goes about creating a definition or interface for a new control surface. I just found out about the existance of Ardor, and I have a Tascam FW1884 on the way. Is it a matter of creating a definitions file, or is it a matter or serious coding?

Thanks,

Joel

I’m also interested in this, since I have a UF8 master keyboard I could also contribute on this.

If it is a mater of serious coding, maybe it would be worth thinking about a solution/interface/API/whatever to be able to get contribution from people who own some interesting piece of hardware and want to contribute easily. By easily I mean editing an XML file, or typing in some keys to bind them to some ardour functions (play, rec…).

Marco.

but the hardware side may twist your brain in a knot.

Assuming your hardware is a generic midi interface, all you need to do is hook it up, make sure all the midi options in Ardour are turned on, and the hook the controller midi node to Ardour’s midi node via qjackctl.

Then according to the manual: “Hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard, and click with Mouse Button2 on the Master fader in Ardour. You should see the “operate MIDI controller now”. Move the first slider on the [controller] up or down a bit. The window should disappear, and you should see the master fader move up and down as you move the slider on the [controller]. If that works, move the fader in Ardour with your mouse. You should see the slider on the [controller] move up and down in tandem with the Master fader!”

However, not all controllers are Generic Midi controllers. (Take mackie’s surface controller for instance) If that’s the case you may have a very hard time getting anything to work. Even if the controller is a Generic Midi Controller it may take some work configuring the hardware to work correctly.

ardour2.0 now has the beginnings of a fairly modular control surface interface. it does require serious coding (at least right now), and we plan to add support for MackieControl in the near future. this will enable several control surfaces (i think that the fw1884 might be among them) that all use this protocol.

It also has Tascam native protocol.

http://www.tascam.com/Products/FW-1884/native_mode_protocol_e_1_60.pdf

Joel

Hello, and thanks for this great software !

Any chance ardour support the Euphonix EuCon protocol ?

Thanks
Olivier

Setup Akai MPD24 with Ardour

Hi, I have just been recommended Ardour and am very impressed with it. I was wondering if anyone knows how i should go about setting up an MPD24 it?

Many thanks

Joe

Hi thankyou very much extremly helpfull I have found I can use my generic midi keyboards sliders and knobs to control ardour mixer that is fantastic is there anywere I can upload the definitions file when it is complete. thesounds
P.S. Just shows how usefull the ardor forums are :slight_smile:

thankyou very much extremly helpfull I have found I can use my generic midi keyboards sliders and knobs to control ardour mixer that is fantastic is there bedroom furniture anywere I can upload the definitions file when it is complete. thesounds