Windows VSTs on Intel Mac with Ardour?

Hi… Title says it all. Would that be possible?

I was thinking… With the intel Macs, would it be possible to compile wine and use Ardour VST on OSX with VST Plugins made for windows? Most of the freeware VSTs that I use do not have a VST or AU MAC version, only windows unfortunetly.

I do Love Ardour on LINUX and I do run most of my windows plugins in Ardour on Ubuntu and Ardour/Wine with no problems, but I would like to try Ardour with my new MAC intel machine, and I would love to know if anyone has ever done such a thing as running VST windows plugins on Ardour and intel MAC… Maybe with DSSI-VST and jack, or even better, inside Ardour…

Heh yea I knew I forgot something, but it was getting late and I was starting to go brain dead from lack of sleep again;)

Seablade

Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it likely? Absolutely not.

One, compiling and maintaining Ardour on OS X is difficult as it is, trust me.
Two, Compiling VST on Linux ain’t easy. And is not dependable.
Three, COmbine those two and you have a pretty large clusterf***.
Four AUs are a widely availiable format, that can be natively supported while still maintaining GPL compatibility. As a result the benefit of running Windows VSTs are pretty limited in comparison to on Linux.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but don’t get your hopes up.

Seablade

Seablade - you missed the part about getting Wine for OS X working too, which would be required for this to work. I believe it does sort-of-kind-of workk, but it doesn’t appear to be the preferred way to run Windows apps on OS X and so it gets less attention than Wine for Linux. I think …