Ardour 2.8 & JAMin Export

Sorry if this has been answered or brought up before (I searched and didn’t see exactly what I’m describing here).
I’m using Ardour 2.8 & JAMin on a “current” Arch Linux box, x86_64. I’ve noticed when I try to export a session with a JAMin insert with the default kernel (non-RT) it exports, but, it hangs up. It doesn’t “hang” like this if I use my RT kernel. If I do the same thing with the RT kernel I have, it finishes perfectly. Not really a big problem or anything, just wanted to make sure if no one knew about this, they do now :o). I know a RT kernel is probably prefered and all but recording, mixing, everything works just fine with the normal 2.6.30 kernel I have. I would think exporting would also?
Anyway, if anyone know of something I could be doing wrong let me know. If this could be some kind of bug in the export or something, just wanted to let someone know.

Thanks,
Jamie

Hmm this is the first I have heard of it, or at least you may be the first that has tied it with Jamin inserted, does it work fine without Jamin in the mix?

Seablade

It happens to me as well. It happens in all generic and RT Ubuntu kernels I have tried (as well as in several different versions, hardy and jaunty to be specific), and even custom kernel compiles. Not sure why, but its annoying enough to look into…

works fine here with vanilla 2.6.31.

Hi,

my ardour hangs itself up and then crashes including jackd everytime I do an export with or without jamin. That’s jackd 0.116.2 and Ardour 2.8.2 (but happens since 2.7 or something). Running custom 2.6.31.1 kernel and debian amd64 testing.

If you find anything out, it would be great if you could post it here.
Benjamin

Also, what info do you guys need to see to debug this issue? I also guess it would help if we file a bug report, at least if it hasn’t been filed already…

Err, yes. Sorry, I thought I put that in my first post. Yes, it will finish just fine without the JAMin insert with either kernel, non-RT or RT. But with the non-RT kernel and the JAMin insert it hangs everytime at the end of the export. I can kill Ardour and JAMin, go to the export folder and listen to the .wav and it exported perfectly it just hangs Ardour. As I said before, I’m just using the RT kernel and it’s no problem. I just think there is a little bug in there somewhere and I wanted to bring it to someone’s attention in hopes that it could be fixed ;o).

Thanks,
Jamie

I’ve had issues with JAMin and Ardour exports for a while, but not with JAMin as an insert (simply because I’ve not tried JAMin as an insert). I typically route the desired track outputs to JAMin’s input, then JAMin’s output to Ardour’s main for the work I’ve done (as I have a preprocessed intro and matching lockout, I just process the main portion of the program through JAMin and bypass JAMin for the intro and lockout).

I’ve had intermittent hangs and ‘long tails’ (where it ‘hung’ for five or ten minutes after the end of export) and I’ve had it export with no hang, all on the same versions of Ardour, JAMin, and JACK (and on several different versions; what I’m getting at is that on any given version combination I’ve experienced complete and partial hangs and ‘things working like they should’ at random). Up until a few days ago, the AVLinux machine hadn’t experienced a JAMin export hang; and then it ‘hung’ for ten minutes post-export. My Fedora 8 box, with an older Ardour and JAMin (and JACK) does the full hang consistently. To recover, I kill Ardour (from the command line), then JAMin wakes up and can be terminated normally. JACK has to be restarted in order to be usable again. But even the F8 box ‘used’ to export without a hang, but then it developed a ‘long tail’ occasionally, and now it consistently hangs (no updates/upgrades of any packages have been done on that box since initial setup; it’s not got an Internet connection (it’s in a church)).

[EDIT]
Note that the exported audio is complete and plays perfectly; it’s at the very last that the hang occurs.
[EDIT]

I’ve not had any correlation of RT versus non-RT; all the kernels have done it at some point in time or another. I need to more accurately assess what versions I’m having issues with, including the ancient ones I’m running on F8/PlanetCCRMA.

I asked in a previous thread how one could go about triaging these sorts of issues to determine where the fault lies, but didn’t get anything that would help me nail down which of Ardour, JACK, or JAMin is where the issue lies (it was more about a JACK error being thrown after Ardour stops freewheeling and tries to go back to a realtime thread, but I mentioned this issue (I think) as well.

Hi,

I have this problem from Ubuntu hardy, Jaunty to Karmic. I installed/compiled debug version of jamin and libjack0, and the following stack trace each time I try to export my work while jamin is an insert on the master bus:

(gdb) i s
#0  0x00cdd422 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0x00fc74d1 in *__GI_raise (sig=6) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:64
#2  0x00fca932 in *__GI_abort () at abort.c:92
#3  0x0805b78f in io_queue (nframes=64, nchannels=2, in=0xb62a3298, out=0xb62a3290) at io.c:477
#4  0x0805b82b in io_process (nframes=64, arg=0x0) at io.c:545
#5  0x00501b8e in jack_client_thread_aux (arg=0x8139ca8) at client.c:1726
#6  jack_client_thread (arg=0x8139ca8) at client.c:1767
#7  0x005068a1 in jack_thread_proxy (varg=0x81d6b88) at thread.c:110
#8  0x007e080e in start_thread (arg=0xb62a3b70) at pthread_create.c:300
#9  0x010697ee in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/clone.S:130

Looking in io.c of jamin ar line 477, I see abort() at the line:

/* queue JACK input buffers for DSP thread */
    for (chan = 0; chan < nchannels; chan++) {
        count = jack_ringbuffer_write(in_rb[chan], (void *) in[chan], nbytes);
        if (count != nbytes) {          /* buffer overflow? */

/* This is a realtime bug.  We have input audio with no
             * place to go.  The DSP thread is not keeping up, and
             * there's nothing we can do about it here. */
            IF_DEBUG(DBG_TERSE,
                     ((chan == 0)?
                      io_trace("input overflow, %ld bytes written.", count):
                      NULL));
            abort();                    /* take a dump */
            rc = ENOSPC;                /* out of space */
        }
    }

It seems to be on purpose then.

This does not happen when not exporting, and seems to relate to the freewheeling ???

Qjackctl reports:

subgraph starting at qjackctl timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=24, status = 0, state = Running, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)
process cycle within freewheel failed

I’m running the following kernel:
Linux 2.6.31-9-rt #152-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Oct 15 05:01:14 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

So, concluding: no problems with jamin as insert normally, only when exporting. It does not seem to matter whether I deactivate jamin before the export (I tried recording the jamin ‘session’ in a separate track, deactivate jamin and then exporting that specific track, but same thing happens; only when completely removing the insert before the export I can save the track). It’s really annoying.

I’ve noticed a few strange problems with ardour when exporting audio - I tried it a while back and it seemed to work fine, but on closer inspection, I find I get xruns or a complete hang sometimes if I use a plugin that takes a lot of DSP (not necessarily one of mine!)
This happens with Ardour 2.8.3 - 2.8.4 and (probably more importantly) JACK 116 -> 118

I’m puzzled as to why there should be x-runs when using jack in freewheel mode (as I believe ardour does to export) since I thought in this mode jack will wait for the processing graph to complete before starting another run of the graph - so I would expect the export process to just slow down to accommodate the slowest audio process (Its been a while since I looked at the JACK code so please correct me if I’ve not understood it correctly - I know I’m probably over-simplifying it…)

I’m happy to help debug this issue since I’m normally testing Ardour / JACK and various plugins etc most of the time…

@linuxdsp: what type of audio interface?

I’m using an EMU 0404 PCI card at the moment - latest ALSA drivers - seems to be rock solid in every other respect, I can run very low latency, full duplex - stock kernel (not realtime, but with the audio group and /etc/security/limts.conf mods) and I never get any xruns when playing or recording audio - even with a lot of processing.

Just to let you all know this used to happen to me also with both generic and RT kernel from ubutu repos when exporting, and even on a few self compiled RT kernels, so Jamie, yes you are not the only one who has experienced this issue.

Here’s an old thread I started a little way back about this:

http://ardour.org/node/2680

To complete my previous post (and correct me if this is not the right place to post this): the moment Jamin decides to abort when I just ran it was at the end of the export (previously I had the problem at the very start). I had a breakpoint set at 477 abort(). Then ‘count’ was 255 and ‘nbytes’ was 256 when I hit the breakpoint. So still one byte to write, it seems.

The documentation of jack_ringbuffer_write() states that the return value is between 0 to cnt, so why does jamin not try to write the remaining bytes, like you would on Unix file system writes. Maybe a dumb question, I’m not familiar with jack or audio programming at all ?

Next, I jumped over the abort to 483: if (jack_ringbuffer_read_space(in_rb[0]) … which completed the export just fine, Jamin and Ardour continued normally. Not sure if my export is completely ok.

What would be a wise next step ?

I was wrong about jamin continuing after the export (and jumping in the debugger to 483). Ardour continued just fine, but Jamin lost all connections.

Me again, I’ve changed the Jamin code around the abort() and have successfully exported my session, numerous times in a row, without Jamin, Ardour or Qjackctl crashing or anything. I’m really puzzled as to why it works now.

I’ve changed the wretched Jamin abort() code to retry short writes: one thing that puzzles me, is that the number of frames short is always 1. So in all logs I always get 1 write short, so I retry that, but that not always succeeds and the count reported back is zero. If I then do a usleep(100) or something, and retry the write then it seems to succeed.

So I’ve changed the above code to:

/* queue JACK input buffers for DSP thread */
    for (chan = 0; chan < nchannels; chan++) {
        count = jack_ringbuffer_write(in_rb[chan], (void *) in[chan], nbytes);
        if (count != nbytes) {          /* buffer overflow? */
                int try;
                for (try=0; try<5 && count < nbytes; try++) {
                        int cnt, nbt = nbytes - count;
                        fprintf(stderr, "count %d nbytes %d\n", count, nbt);
                        fprintf(stderr, "Trying %d from position %d\n", nbt, count);
                        cnt = jack_ringbuffer_write(in_rb[chan], (void *) in[chan]+count, nbt);
                        fprintf(stderr, "Got %d\n", cnt);
                        if (cnt==0) usleep(100);
                        count += cnt;
                }

if (count != nbytes) {
                        /* This is a realtime bug.  We have input audio with no
                        * place to go.  The DSP thread is not keeping up, and
                        * there's nothing we can do about it here. */
                        IF_DEBUG(DBG_TERSE,
                                     ((chan == 0)?
                                      io_trace("input overflow, %ld bytes written.", count):
                                      NULL));
                        abort();                        /* take a dump */
                        rc = ENOSPC;            /* out of space */
                } else {
                        fprintf(stderr, "ok\n");
                }
        }
    }

When exporting I get a load of stderr messages at the end of the export (sometimes also a few at the beginning, but in the end I always get everything written, and continue normally.

Do any of you have any idea why this works ? Is this the right thing to do ? I think I should do this only when in freewheeling mode, but could not find a Jack api to tell me whether we’re in freewheeling mode. Is there such an api ?

There is very good documentation all about the JACK API at www.jackaudio.org/documentation

you register a callback with JACK to tell your app when jack has entered freewheel mode.

You’re right, it was late yesterday evening, must’ve overlooked it, thanks for the tip.

I’ve patched Jamin to recognize freewheeling mode and relax the abort() condition. I’m not too comforable with the usleep(), and will ask Jamin development members for their comment. I’ve uploaded the io.c diff and a Ubuntu Karmic deb to http://sites.google.com/site/keesvveen/jamin/ for those interested.

What this solves for me is: Jamin crashing (aborting) when exporting from Ardour while Jamin is an insert on the master bus. Thus far it didn’t happen again, while before it happened all the time, mostly at the very end of the export, but sometimes also at the beginning or during the export.

[EDIT]

Best read on to comment 31, this patch is really a hack which does not solve the problem but rather hides the symptoms.

Hmmm, I’m not sure this is the right way to go about fixing this…