Ardour2 build error

Hello

Can anyone help out with the following Ardour2 build problem?

First the basic details:
Platform: Powerbook G4 running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Ardour package is: Ardour-2.0alpha2

All libraries are installed including development versions of those libraries.

No issues with finding any of the libraries (all good there)

Here is what the terminal is outputing, there appears to be two distinct errors that occur with the last one causing the build session to terminate:

scons: Reading SConscript files …
Checking for C header file alsa/asoundlib.h… yes
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: ‘NoneType’ and ‘str’:
File “SConstruct”, line 553:
have_cxx = conf.TryAction (Action (env[‘CXX’] + ’ --version’))
neilshaw@neilshaw-laptop:~/Desktop/ardour-2.0alpha2$ scons
scons: Reading SConscript files …
Checking for C header file alsa/asoundlib.h… yes
system triple: powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu

detected DIST_TARGET = powerpc

Checking for internationalization support …
Checking for C header file libintl.h… yes
Checking for C header file /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/Headers/CoreAudio.h… no
Checking for C function posix_memalign()… yes
Checking for C function getmntent()… yes
Checking for C header file execinfo.h… yes
Checking for jack_client_open()…ok
Checking for jack_recompute_total_latencies()…ok
Checking for C header file wordexp.h… yes
Checking for C header file sys/vfs.h… yes
Checking for C header file /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMIDI.framework/Headers/CoreMIDI.h… no
Checking for C header file /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Headers/ExtendedAudioFile.h… no
Generating POTFILES.in in gtk_ardour/po
Updating pot file:
intltool-update -p -g=gtk_ardour
sh: intltool-update: command not found
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets …
Substituting vars from ardour.rc.in into ardour.rc
-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -fstrength-reduce -mcpu=750 -mmultiple -mhard-float -mpowerpc-gfxopt -Wall -DENABLE_NLS -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -Ilibs/soundtouch -c -o libs/soundtouch/AAFilter.o libs/soundtouch/AAFilter.cpp
cdable_vars off
cdspell off
checkhash off
checkwinsize off
cmdhist on
dotglob off
execfail off
expand_aliases off
extdebug off
extglob off
extquote on
failglob off
force_fignore on
gnu_errfmt off
histappend off
histreedit off
histverify off
hostcomplete on
huponexit off
interactive_comments on
lithist off
login_shell off
mailwarn off
no_empty_cmd_completion off
nocaseglob off
nocasematch off
nullglob off
progcomp on
promptvars on
restricted_shell off
shift_verbose off
sourcepath on
xpg_echo off
sh: -3: invalid option
Usage: sh [GNU long option] [option] …
sh [GNU long option] [option] script-file …
GNU long options:
–debug
–debugger
–dump-po-strings
–dump-strings
–help
–init-file
–login
–noediting
–noprofile
–norc
–posix
–protected
–rcfile
–restricted
–verbose
–version
–wordexp
Shell options:
-irsD or -c command or -O shopt_option (invocation only)
-abefhkmnptuvxBCHP or -o option
scons: *** [libs/soundtouch/AAFilter.o] Error 2
scons: building terminated because of errors.

Strange that scons didn’t warn you about it, but you seem to be missing the compiler itself. You need to install gcc and g++ and probably a lot of -dev / -devel libraries to get it going.

Don’t worry though, those packages are easy to install. Just every time you get a warning about XX missing, try searching your distros package repositories for a relevant XX-dev or XX-devel package.

Hello sampo

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do have gcc and the other development libraries installed and doing a ‘which gcc’ command in the terminal produces /usr/bin/gcc and that version of gcc is 4.0. This implies that the system is aware of gcc.

The first error:

TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: ’NoneType’ and ’str’:
File “SConstruct”, line 553:
have_cxx = conf.TryAction (Action (env[’CXX’] + ’ –version’))

has been corrected by simply commenting out those lines (they are a simple check for the c compliler). When scons is run again I then get the second error:

scons: *** [libs/soundtouch/AAFilter.o] Error 2

If this is indeed because the build process is not seeing gcc how do I get the system to see it??

Thanks again for your help

Have you installed Apple’s developer tools package? That is very necessary.

Hi Taybin

Although I am running on a Powerbook G4, I have dual booted the unit (see initial post for full details) and I am currently trying to get Ardour2 to compile under Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS.

Thanks for your reply though.

Tera

Hello sampo

I did reply to your post (thankyou by the way). Unfortunately I must have done something wrong and the reply ended up being posted right underneath my original post.

I labled the reply “gcc and g++”

Thanks again

Tera

Oh, I see. Sorry. Still not sure why that’s happening. Where is gcc in your path?

Hello Taybin

When using the ‘which gcc’ command from a terminal I get the following:
the path to gcc is /usr/bin/gcc.

And typing ‘ls -al gcc’ in the terminal reveals that the version of gcc is 4.0

Thanks again

Tera

Let’s verify g++ as well. does ‘whicih g++’ tell you that g++ is also in your path?

Hello sampo

‘which g++’ does not produce anything. So this means that g++ is not in the system. Am I wrong in thinking that g++ was automatically installed with gcc ??

Thanks

Tera

Hello again sampo

Your comment about checking for g++ yeilded some positive results. When first checked the ‘which g++’ query did not return anything, a subsequent check of the /usr/bin/ directory shows that g+±4.0 is actually in the system. The problem turned out to be that there was no symbolic link pointing to the actual file. I created the link and reran scons, at this point the package is merrily chugging away in the build process. I’ll post back again when it’s finished and let everyone know how it went.

Cheers for now.

Tera

g++ -o gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.o -c -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -fstrength-reduce -DARCH_X86 -mmmx -m3dnow -march=i686 -msse -mfpmath=sse -DBUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS -Wall -DVST_SUPPORT -DENABLE_NLS -DPACKAGE=“gtk_ardour” -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -DPACKAGE=“gtk_ardour” -DLIBSIGC_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DDATA_DIR="/usr/local/share" -DLOCALEDIR="/usr/local/share/locale" -DGLADEPATH="/usr/local/share/ardour/glade" -DVERSIONSTRING=“2.0alpha2” -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -Ilibs/ardour -Ilibs/sigc++2 -Ilibs/glibmm2 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -Ilibs/pbd3 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -Ilibs/libglademm -Ilibs/gtkmm2/pango -I/usr/include/freetype2 -Igtk2_ardour -Ilibs/gtkmm2/gtk -I/usr/include/libglade-2.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -Ilibs/midi++2 -Ilibs/gtkmm2/atk -I/usr/include/libgnomecanvas-2.0 -Ilibs/gtkmm2/gdk -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/libxml2 -Ilibs/gtkmm2ext -Ilibs/libgnomecanvasmm -I/usr/include/vst -I/usr/include/libart-2.0 -Ilibs -Ilibs/soundtouch gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.cc
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/object.h:118: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/object.h:118: error: expected `)’ before numeric constant
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/object.h:119: error: expected identifier before numeric constant
libs/glibmm2/glibmm/object.h:119: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘…’ before numeric constant
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/types.h:186: error: expected identifier before ‘int’
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/types.h:187: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘{’ token
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/types.h:203: error: missing ‘>’ to terminate the template argument list
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/types.h:203: error: template argument 1 is invalid
libs/gtkmm2/gdk/gdkmm/types.h:203: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘>’ token
gtk2_ardour/plugin_ui.h: In member function ‘virtual bool VSTPluginUI::start_updating(GdkEventAny*)’:
gtk2_ardour/plugin_ui.h:220: warning: no return statement in function returning non-void
gtk2_ardour/plugin_ui.h: In member function ‘virtual bool VSTPluginUI::stop_updating(GdkEventAny*)’:
gtk2_ardour/plugin_ui.h:221: warning: no return statement in function returning non-void
gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.cc: In member function ‘int VSTPluginUI::package(Gtk::Window&)’:
libs/gtkmm2/gtk/gtkmm/widget.h:2589: error: ‘void Gtk::Widget::realize()’ is protected
gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.cc:68: error: within this context
gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.cc:78: error: ‘class Gtk::Socket’ has no member named ‘steal’
gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.cc: In member function ‘gboolean VSTPluginUI::configure_handler(GdkEventConfigure*, GtkSocket*)’:
gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.cc:90: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct _GtkSocket’
libs/gtkmm2/gtk/gtkmm/socket.h:32: error: forward declaration of ‘struct _GtkSocket’
gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.cc:95: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct _GtkSocket’
libs/gtkmm2/gtk/gtkmm/socket.h:32: error: forward declaration of ‘struct _GtkSocket’
gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.cc:96: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct _GtkSocket’
gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.cc:103: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct _GtkSocket’
gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.cc:116: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct _GtkSocket’
gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.cc:117: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct _GtkSocket’
gtk2_ardour/plugin_ui.h: In member function ‘virtual bool VSTPluginUI::start_updating(GdkEventAny*)’:
gtk2_ardour/plugin_ui.h:220: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
gtk2_ardour/plugin_ui.h: In member function ‘virtual bool VSTPluginUI::stop_updating(GdkEventAny*)’:
gtk2_ardour/plugin_ui.h:221: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
scons: *** [gtk2_ardour/vst_pluginui.o] Error 1

Tried to build with scons VST=yes. Tarball was : http://ardour.org/files/releases/ardour-2.0alpha2.tar.bz2

Check out my songs at http://www.emvg.net/esa