adding plugins in OSX

I’m very new to ardour, and not a super computer geek, so be gentle.

I’m running Ardour on OSX and want to add autotalent LADSPA plugin. where would I find/create the directory to copy the plugin? i’ve got 3 different usr/lib/ directories and no ladspa directory. Do I need to install something to create that directory, it will not let me create my own…?

any help will be appreciated.

For OS X you can do one of a couple of things…

System wide installs of LADSPA plugins go in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA

But if you want to, there is a folder in the Ardour.app bundle(Right click and click ‘Show Package Contents’) and you can copy it there if you only want it available for one install of Ardour(Useful for testing)

Seablade

I added it in that folder. I had to create the LADSPA folder…and it didn’t show up in ardour…is there something else i need to do?

What precisely did you add(filename and how/where you obtained it) and where precisely are you looking in Ardour?

Seablade

I am running ardour 2.8.11 on Leopard.

I am trying to add the autotalent.so plugin

I copied it to a new LADSPA folder in the plugins folder, and also tried adding it to the bundle.

I am completely new to ardour, so I have never installed any other plugins before…

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Shytor,

If you are on OSX, you might prefer to start with AudioUnits plugins.

AudioUnits are the 'native" plugin formats for OSX. There is a much wider range of plugins available, and they usually have a nice GUI that is easier to use than the generic sliders that LADSPA’s give you.

AudioUnits plugins often come with installers and/or better instructions than LADSPA plugins, so they are easier to install (it’s the same process for any AU plugin host, such as Logic or Garageband)

All that said, if you drop your ladspa “.so” files into the /usr/local/lib/ladspa folder, they should show up in the redirects area of each track. If not, you might want to look at the output from Applications/Utilities/Console to see if there are any clues why the .so didn’t load.

Hope this helps!
-Ben

What platform(Intel/PPC), what version of OS X, etc.? And where exactly in Ardour are you looking for the plugin to appear? This last question is important as many people look in the wrong place at first in Ardour for the plugin to appear. See below for reference…

http://en.flossmanuals.net/Ardour/UsingPlugIns

Also can you open up a Terminal window (Applications>Utilities>Terminal.app) and type in the following command? You will then need to copy and paste the output to here for me so I can see it…

file /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA/autotalent.so

If you can surround the output of that command with CODE tags when you paste it back here it would be great, thanks.

Seablade

file /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA/autotalent.so/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA/autotalent.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, AMD x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), not stripped

Ahha, that is why Ardour is not loading autotalent. Your version was compiled for Linux x86_64, not for OS X. You need a version compiled for OS X. There is a slightly out of date AU version of that plugin out there that would work as well as Ben suggested, but if you can get the LADSPA compiled for OS X that will also work. However the exact compiled file you have will not work on OS X.

Seablade

I can’t seem to find one compiled for OSX…do you have a link?

Not off hand no, I can’t remember what, if anything, I had to do to compile it here, and am unsure on how stable it is on top of that. However you can find the AU version of it here…

http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/index.php?p=freeplugins#at

Seablade