AU plugin directories ?

Hello

When I run Ardour (version 2.8.11, rev 7387) on Leopard, I cannot get Ardour to recognize my AU plugins which are in the ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components and /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components directories. How could I remedy this problem ?

Secondly, when running ardour I notice that in the the Plugin Manager GUI, there are a whole list of AudioUnit Effects like AUBandpass, AUDelay, AUDistortion etc. all of which I cannot locate anywhere on my hard disk. Where are these AU Effects located on my Hard disk ?

Many Thanks,
S.

Heh well let me clarify something…

Secondly, when running ardour I notice that in the the Plugin Manager GUI, there are a whole list of AudioUnit Effects like AUBandpass, AUDelay, AUDistortion etc. all of which I cannot locate anywhere on my hard disk. Where are these AU Effects located on my Hard disk ?

This means that Ardour IS recognizing your plugins. To insert them right click on the black area above or below a mixer strip, or double click works as well in the empty area, and select which plugin you wish to insert. I suspect you were trying to access them via the ‘a’ in the editor right?

For reference…
http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/ch040_using-plugins/

In as far as where are these located, short version is that you can’t see them. They are part of the CoreAudio libraries, and are not standard AU plugins in as far as there is no separate component file for them. They are part of the OS basically. So you won’t be able to find those on your hard drive anywhere.

Seablade

Hello seablade,

Many thanks for clarifying the question about the proprietary Apple AU plugins.

More to the point, looking at my ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components directory:

ls ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
A52Codec.component CMplay.component MU_xEQ.component RumblenceZoyd.component
AlphaCM.component LinuxSamplerUnit.component PulseModulator.component TAL-Vocoder.component

Ardour recognizes the TAL-Vocoder and PulseModulator AUs, but none of the others ?
Why would this be ?

Thanks in advance,
S

I would bet that it is because of how the plugins identify themselves. There are certain plugins that Ardour can’t use so it ignores those plugins rather than listing them so as to prevent someone from trying to use one and getting all sorts of strangeness. Example would be any plugin that requires MIDI input, since Ardour does not have MIDI capabilities in Ardour2, though this is coming in A3 which is currently in alpha testing. So for instance I KNOW your LinuxSampler wouldn’t make sense and is almost certainly ignored. But there are certain types of plugins that WOULD make sense that are ignored, and if you have those then by all means file a bug report. Example might be a Drum Replacement plugin, where it might identify itself in such a way that Ardour thinks it can’t use it, but in actuality it can.

Does that ramble make sense? I need some sleep so just ask more questions if it doesn’t.

Seablade

I think they don’t show because they are midi instruments, not effects

johan

/Example would be any plugin that requires MIDI input, since Ardour does not have MIDI capabilities in Ardour2, though this is coming in A3 which is currently in alpha testing./

Good Day Seablade!

Yeah, makes perfect sense. Thanks for the enlightenment. Looking forward to the release of A3 :slight_smile:

S.

Hi there,
I am having trouble with Ardour pulling up presets for AU plugins (McDSP Revolver and Abbey Road 12413 specifically). I can insert the plugins but cant get the factory presets to pull up. Can I import them? What is the file path for plugin presets? I would appreciate any help!