Ardour3 and Zynaddsubfx

Since Ardour3 has the capability of accepting MIDI. Can it work with zynaddsubfx? In jackd configuration, zynaddsubfx is shown under MIDI tab and also has ardour listed there so the connection is made.

But how will zynaddsubfx write midi data into ardour midi track? How can someone configure jackd/ardound/zynaddsubfx?

Rony P.

@rpatros: synth’s don’t write MIDI data into tracks. MIDI controllers & keyboards and/or Ardour’s GUI and import of SMF files is how you get data into a track. Then during playback Ardour delivers that MIDI data to a synth, either as a plugin or as JACK client (via JACK MIDI).

Paul thank you for the reply. So the only way have midi is by importing a midi file then.

only way have midi is by importing a midi file then.

well that and the old ebony and ivory. or clicking into into the piano roll if you’re that patient. zynaddsubfx is a consumer of midi data, not a producer.

Paul thank you for the reply. So the only way have midi is by importing a midi file then.

Or by recording it. Ardour3 can take ANY MIDI data coming in on the Jack MIDI port and record it. The thing is, that ZynAddSubFX doesn’t send any MIDI data that I am aware of, it only sends audio data. What I suspect you are likely referring to, is you are sending MIDI data to Zyn and monitoring it, and you want to be able to record that MIDI data, in which case you would need to duplicate the routing to Zyn and send it to Ardour’s MIDI as well, and record that. Then patch the playback into Zyn and you will get an identical performance. But as mentioned above, Zyn on its own doesn’t produce any MIDI data that I am aware of, it only uses MIDI data given to it to determine what audio data it should generate.

Seablade

Thank you guys for your input. Now is there another application that can be used thru jack to send midi data to ardour (midi track) like virtual kb application thru jackd? Does jackd need to be set to RAW or SEQ for midi?

This is the type of tutorial that I was looking for…it’s very very helpful with using the MIDI functionality in Ardour 3: