Group tracks for editing?

Is it possible to goup a number of tracks for editing? For example, I have a drum set recorded with 10 mics (snare, kick, tom, etc.) and I want to edit parts out and make loops while keeping the individual tracks aligned (in time) with each other ,without boucing all the individual tracks to one first.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
–Sarah

Edit groups work for moving regions, splitting them, trimming them etc. but only for regions which have been recorded together and not edited individually.

To do this, you need to enable the edit group.

Use the edit groups. The edit groups are on the left of the tracks in the editor. See http://www.ardour.org/manual/basics/editor (search for “edit group”).

Thanks. I looked around but this didn’t really solve my problem. What can be done with tracks that are grouped together besides make them all visible/invisible at the same time? I need to be able to edit all 10 tracks at the same time. For example, I want to remove two beats from a recording of drums (10 separate tracks for each drum): how can I remove the exact same moment in time from all 10 tracks at once and then move all 10 tracks along the horizontal timeline AND have them all stay perfectly aligned? I’d also like to be able to cut and past all 10 tracks as a group.
Is this possible?
I thought I might be able to do it by putting them all on one track as layers (making them all transparent) and then editing. This works for cut and past but when I start to move parts around I can only move one at a time, the top layer, so they all get out of sync.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

This may sound a little odd, but you could mux the 10 tracks into a 10 channel wav file. Then in ardour you create a track with 10 channels and dump that new wav file into the track. Then all edits are made to all 10 channels.

Hi,

FYI I’m still using 0.99… don’t know if this applies to version 2 too.

You can select the wanted range with the range tool, then shift-click on the track panels for the tracks you want affected, then right-click->range->separate region. By shift-clicking on the separated regions you can then move them all at once with the object tool.

HTH

Hi,

FYI I’m still using 0.99… don’t know if this applies to version 2 too.

You can select the wanted range with the range tool, then shift-click on the track panels for the tracks you want affected, then right-click->range->separate region. By shift-clicking on the separated regions you can then move them all at once with the object tool.

HTH

Hello, this is from a long time ago, but is there currently a solution for this? I have recorded the same instrument with multiple mics and so I want to group these tracks and edit them together. Just grouping them doesn’t seem to let you edit them together. It only controls things like mute/solo. Any ideas? It seems like this must be possible.

Take a look at https://manual.ardour.org/working-with-regions/corresponding-regions-selection/

In short, you need to enable the group’s ‘Selection’ property: then, selecting a region in any one of the group’s tracks will automatically select the “corresponding” regions in all the other tracks of the group, and edit operations will then apply to all the selected regions.

Thanks Colin. I did have ‘Selection’ checked, so I thought I was good, but that manual page you linked was very helpful. Specifically the “Overlap Correspondence” section. That was my issue. Regions in Ardour behave a little differently than other DAW’s I’ve used, but setting this to “When They Overlap In Time” made it work as I had expected it to. Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.