Issue with changes being region wide

I have a floor tom track that only has two tom strikes about halfway through the song and one more towards the end. I used the split function and cut the track up so I could mute the parts with the ride cymbal bleeding through. The issue is that when I select all the tracks to do a general fade in or trim the intro Ardour does the action on the parts that are split as well. Whats the right way to do this?

OK lets test this out. Try creating two tracks and recording a bit on them. Split the second track in a few places. Now select the top region then hit shift and select the other one. I am getting behavior where it selects everything after the split. Hope this is more clear. Thanks!

almost all software these days uses shift-click to mean “extend current selection from existing start to wherever i click”. to deselect something already selected (or to select it, but without clearing the existing selection), use ctrl-click (these are linux bindings; on OS X replace ctrl- with cmd-)

Don’t select regions you don’t want the fade on. In your case I would do a modifier select to remove them from your list of selected regions.

Seablade

OK thanks. That seems like sort of bad behavior IMO. I don’t see the logic in shift selecting multiple regions and having the select go beyond splits. I mean that’s why I split it in the first place. Am I missing the point?

If you split the region, then select one of the two regions, the other one should not be selected unless you then explicitly select it as well. They are two independent regions. If you select everything on a track, then everything on the track will be selected whether split or not. Not sure I am understanding what your problem is.

Seablade