Ardour could not start JACK

When this happens jackd is already running having been launched from qjackctl and my presonus inspire is communicating with jack (led is blue). Ardor’s configuration page does not list “firewire” as a driver choice. I also cannot disconnect - start jack - reconnect either.

Is there any way to more precisely configure the jackd command line or tell ardour to use an existing jack session?

TIA

Ubuntu 11.10
Ardour 2.8.11
Jack 3.1.1
Jackd 5
QJackCtl 0.3.8-1

Firefire

JackSocketClientChannel read fail
Cannot open ardourprobe client
JACK COMMAND: /usr/bin/jackd -p 128 -R -P 60 -T -d freebob -n 2 -r 48000 -p 1024 
Cannot open ardour client

Alsa

loading default ui configuration file /etc/ardour2/ardour2_ui_default.conf
loading user ui configuration file /home/jpowell/.ardour2/ardour2_ui.conf
Loading ui configuration file /etc/ardour2/ardour2_ui_dark.rc
theme_init() called from internal clearlooks engine
ardour: [INFO]: Ardour will be limited to 4096 open files
loading system configuration file /etc/ardour2/ardour_system.rc
loading user configuration file /home/jpowell/.ardour2/ardour.rc
ardour: [INFO]: No H/W specific optimizations in use
ardour: [INFO]: looking for control protocols in /home/jpowell/.ardour2/surfaces/:/usr/lib/ardour2/surfaces/
powermate: Opening of powermate failed - No such file or directory
ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol powermate not usable
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Mackie"
ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol Tranzport not usable
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Generic MIDI"
Cannot open ardourprobe client
JACK COMMAND: /usr/bin/jackd -p 128 -R -P 60 -T -d alsa -n 2 -r 48000 -p 1024 -d hw:0,0 
Cannot open ardour client

Make sure you launch QJackCtl/Jack from the same user as you’re trying to start Ardour.

If jackd is launched by the same user, Ardour picks up its existance and uses that and you’ll not be presented with the Audio setup page.

BTW there’s no such thing as Jack 3.1.1 or Jackd 5. The two existing versions of Jack (Jack1 and Jack2) are currently at versions 0.121.3 and 1.9.8 respectively (confusing - yes, but that’s the numbering system…).

Yes jack was launched from the same user who belongs to the “audio” group.

The version numbers were gleaned from the synaptic listing. jackd --version yields jackdmp 1.9.7

It looks like it’s jack’s fault. Other apps also fail to detect jack when it is using the firewire driver. After switching to ALSA I could record with ardour although the internal sound chip sounds awful. “mplayer -ao jack” worked only once then complained about not having a jack driver.

I’ve found other posts where the resolution was dropping back to Ubuntu 10.04 so it looks like the Ubuntu repo version of things is a bit broken.

I've found other posts where the resolution was dropping back to Ubuntu 10.04 so it looks like the Ubuntu repo version of things is a bit broken.

Sadly not an uncommon thing.