Problems setting up a hdsp card

Hi,
i am going to setup a Laptop with RME Multiface and cardbus interface. When the card is plugged in the system hangs in state:
“Waiting for uevents to be processed”

When it is unplugged it starts normally. I guess there is a mismatch with the kernel konfiguration but i used the same setup as i do with annoter computer successfully… Both run with Gentoo. I have no clue what this is and furthermore it happens at a early state where no logs are written.

Can anybody help here?

thanks
Erdie

hi,

please give us some more info on your laptop especially the cardbus manufacturer. there are some known to cause problems with hdsp-cards. just to be sure, you are using the old cardbus card, right? not the new expresscard? with the expresscard there were some faulty cards that would not work in linux, due to an issue with the hardware. those cards can be sent in to rme to get a new and working one.

also, do you plug the card in, before the laptop is started? try inserting it after the bios shows up. this helped me in one case.

Both laptops have expresscards. I know the issue you described. I bought an expresscard and it didnt work. Afterthat i changed it with annother one and it did not work either.

Then i returned the 2nd card and used the old cardbus card with and expresscard-to-cardbus adapter. This worked for my for a long time.

The new laptop unfortunatly has a expresscard slot, too. Therefore I am trying to get the same solution working. But it doesn´t so far. At the moment I do not think that this is hardware issue but maybe you are right. The qustion is if there is a possiblity to debug the udev envents in the background.
This is my lspci output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:04.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire (IEEE 1394) (rev 02)
01:04.2 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MMC/SD Controller (rev 01)
01:04.3 Mass storage controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MS/xD Controller (rev 01)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

thanks a lot
Erdie

to enable udev debug have a look at this:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-823476-start-0.html

it is an old thread but maybe it still works.

the solution with the adapter is far from ideal. there are issues with some laptops.

do you have the possibility to try an expresscard once again?

what happens if you just insert the adapter without the hdsp card? or with another cardbus card if you have any? (wireless for example)

just wild guessing here, but maybe try something like this as well:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44046

These are my notes for installing a PCI HDSP card (Gentoo with pro-audio overlay). I only half understand the technical details but maybe something here will help. If you forgot to emerge the firmware would that explain your problem?

/etc/make.conf

ALSA_CARDS=“hdsp”

kernel

Select “hdsp” in the list of PCI cards and rebuild the kernel.

/etc/portage/package.use

add fltk use flag for alsa-tools
emerge alsa-tools && alsa-firmware && alsa-utils

should now have: hdspconf, hdsploader and hdspmixer

As at end 2011, hdspmixer will not run. Build from git (http://ardour.org/node/4583):
$ git clone git://git.alsa-project.org/alsa-tools.git alsa-tools
$ cd alsa-tools/hdspmixer/
$./gitcompile --prefix=/usr
$ sudo make install

Mcgruff,

thank you ! I did all you described, btw. I have 2 other machines successfullly runningunder Gentoo: 1 PC with PCI card and 1 Laptop with the workaround solution. Anyway there is the chance I forgot something so i will doublecheck.
I am also using the git workaround because there is not other possiblity to get a running hdspmixer under Gentoo.

@Lokki: Yes a real Expresscard would be nice but this will cost me about 350 Euro. I am thinking about that if no other way is possible.

best regards
Erdie