drum replacement ladspa plugins?

41 replies [Last post]
bwilkinson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
This looks like a great plug-in, it would be really nice to see (as I haven't found anything that does it yet) this have the ability to act as a trigger for Hydrogen (or some other drum synthesizer). Is that possible?

toersi
User offline. Last seen 1 year 50 weeks ago. Offline
Maybe the trigger can act as a midi source and sends MIDI sequences to a sequencer (e.g. Hydrogen). As far as I can see LADSPA itself can't handle any MIDI yet. But if I have some free time I will try to implement some JACK-MIDI interface which can be connected to Hydrogen for example. But I don't know how the real-time behaviour would be. Maybe there is a lot of latency.

bwilkinson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Not sure if latency would really be an issue, as long as it was constant. After bringing the track from Hydrogen back into Ardour, the track could be dragged back to where it needed to be.

It would be a little kludgy, but it would do the job.

macinnisrr
macinnisrr's picture
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
check out dickmacinnis.com
I used this plugin for all the kick, snare and toms on the whole last album and it worked great, although when I compiled it I replaced the stock samples with some from the UltraAcoustic Kit, which is part of the Hydrogen-Drumkits package in ubuntu.

lorinc
User offline. Last seen 2 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
This plugin rocks ! I've been home-recording drums yesterday (with an edrums -> roland drum machine -> midi out / usb in -> hydrogen with default drumkit -> ardour), and I've replaced kick and snare with some samples from our latest studio recording. It worked very good.

Only the sample selection gui did not appear. So I had to create different presets, and then edit the xml file where the preset properties are stored to managed the different samples. Dunno where this bug is from.

ladspa cannot handle file selection, but is it possible to have a gui in ladspa (let say a simple button) that launches any kind of code, like a file chooser written in gtk ? It would be so cool to have a more usable ui. I'd love to have a "sample library" with the ability to select the replacement sample from there, and to add/remove sample to/from the library.

Another cool feature would be to be able to have more samples selected at once, and to randomly choose one at each replacement. It would help to "humanize" the result.

Again, you did an amazing job ! Thanks !

gregor
gregor's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
When compiling on mac...........

beta 3 and current i get this message when compiling:

gregor-peytons-imac:ladspa-trigger 7 gregorpeyton$ sudo make
cc -I. -Iinclude -Wall -Werror -O3 -fPIC -fno-stack-protector -o src/trigger.o -c src/trigger.c
src/trigger.c:7:20: error: endian.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [plugins/trigger.so] Error 1

beta 1 and 2:

gregor-peytons-imac:ladspa-trigger 5 gregorpeyton$ sudo make
cc -I. -Iinclude -Wall -Werror -O3 -fPIC -fno-stack-protector -o src/trigger.o -c src/trigger.c
ld -o plugins/trigger.so -shared src/trigger.o
ld: unknown option: -shared
make: *** [plugins/trigger.so] Error 1

removing line "endian.h" from the "trigger.c" file from current and beta 3 i get the same message as beta 1 and 2.

macinnisrr
macinnisrr's picture
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
there's a binary package for ubuntu of this plugin on my website. See this post:
http://ardour.org/node/3306

Ricardus
Ricardus's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 days 2 hours ago. Offline
Oh, this looks very cool. I have been looking for something like this for linux.

gastric_bass
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
well I've tried this plugin once again and there is some kind of "lag" between the input and the sample. I've downloaded the ladspa-trigger-alpha1 because it appeared to be newer than the beta version - is this my problem ?

The sourceforge screenshot shows a latency control - but I couldn't find this.

Where is my problem with that ?

Has anybody else had any luck with a VST drum replacement plugin and linux ? I've tried 3 of the downloads from http://www.hometracked.com/2006/04/29/free-drum-replacers/ but none worked (they just crashed my ardour version).

Had anybody good experiences with those ?

gastric_bass
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Okay, I've compiled the last version from subversion and now it seems fine - you just have to set the bpm pretty high (even more so when your drummer is playing double-bass) so it ecognizes all the beats. I don't know about the two modes, but mode 2 did fit my sound better.

keeni
keeni's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
I made a normal build of Ardour 3.2 on Ubuntu 13.04 (32bit) as proposed on http://ardour.org/building_linux.html

Ardour3 so far runs fine and so I tried to realize a drum replacement with the ladspa-trigger plugin from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ladspa-trigger/

building the plugin (ladspa-trigger-0.1.tar.bz2) with sh make and sudo sh make install worked so far and Ardour3 recognizes the plugin in the list, but no one of the samples are beeing replaced..editing the "Original Signal Through Gain" is working fine but changing Threshhold/Resolution/Sample Gain/Sample Dynamics/Sample/Mode seems to have no affect on the track.. (instalIing the plugin from the provided ladspa-trigger_0.1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb file doesnt work too)

I also tried to replace the samples under /usr/share/ladspa/samples without success

Can anyone help me?