MIDI files not found re-opening project

I’ve just entered a couple of bars of MIDI with a keyboard, saved, exited, and re-opened Ardour ( built from git, recently ). I get a bunch of errors:

Ardour cannot find the MIDI file
MIDI 1-3.mid-1.mid
in any of these folders:
/home/dkasak/Documents/ardour/swing/interchange/swing/midifiles

These errors are correct - these files do not exist. Files with other names exist:

dkasak@ultrabook ~/Documents/ardour/swing/interchange/swing/midifiles $ ls -l
total 32
-rw-r–r-- 1 dkasak dkasak 573 Jul 7 13:38 MIDI 1-1-1.mid
-rw-r–r-- 1 dkasak dkasak 531 Jul 7 13:38 MIDI 1-1.mid
-rw-r–r-- 1 dkasak dkasak 532 Jul 7 13:38 MIDI 1-2.mid
-rw-r–r-- 1 dkasak dkasak 235 Jul 7 13:38 MIDI 1-4-1.mid
-rw-r–r-- 1 dkasak dkasak 235 Jul 7 13:38 MIDI 1-4.mid
-rw-r–r-- 1 dkasak dkasak 414 Jul 7 13:38 MIDI 2-1.mid
-rw-r–r-- 1 dkasak dkasak 365 Jul 7 13:38 MIDI 2-2.mid
-rw-r–r-- 1 dkasak dkasak 597 Jul 7 13:38 MIDI 2-3.mid
dkasak@ultrabook ~/Documents/ardour/swing/interchange/swing/midifiles $

I get 1 take of 1 track successfully imported. The rest - gone. Ouch!

Luckily I was just mucking around for a few minutes and can recreate …

WWWWOOOOAAAAAHHHH … it’s getting worse:

[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-1.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[WARNING]: A sound file is missing. It will be replaced by silence.
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-2.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 2-1.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 2-2.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-4.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-3.mid-1.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-4.mid-1.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-3.mid-2.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-2.wav): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 2-3.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-4-1.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-1-1.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-3.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-5.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles
[ERROR]: Filesource: cannot find required file (MIDI 1-6.mid): while searching ./interchange/./midifiles

… and then there were NONE!

I’ll consider this project officially screwed and try again.

I had the same thing, the files that it was looking for did indeed not exist, however the midi tracks were actually there just not the names it thought it was.

You may want to get into irc and talk with some of the dev;s to see if you can give some info that will get to the bottom of this.

theres no support for self built versions but since you build from git this may be a bug that should be brought to the attention of the dev’s so it doesnt make its way into the next versions.

dkasak: there is a known issue where this happens when you create empty MIDI regions. If that is what is happening to you, then you didn’t lose any data at all, you just got (almost) worthless errors. I haven’t fixed this yet because I haven’t decided what to do when the user has created empty MIDI regions.

Do you believe that the messages above reflect lost data?

Yes I lost all my MIDI tracks eventually … ie when I opened my project, there was no MIDI data at all.

was the data that went missing happen to be when you copied and pasted stuff. Thats what happend to me. I manuall pencilled in notes then copied the bars to build up patterns. Then opening it again they were not there abnd ardour couldnt find them. There were midi files but not the names ardour was looking for.

No I had input notes with a MIDI keyboard - as best I could :wink: It took a couple of takes. I didn’t edit anything - no copying or pasting or anything else. Then I saved and exited. When I returned, I got the above errors.

dkasak: just to check, which version of Ardour is this?

Ardour 3.5.394
(built from revision 3.5-394-g90a592c)