Problems compiling jack2

I recently found this piece of software and wanted to try it out asap.
I installed the latest Ubuntu 14.04.1 and went on to set up jack2 on my system, that’s where I ran into some problems.

I hope it’s not an issue posting jack2 related stuff here as it seems to me they are related heavily…
Here is the log output of jack2 when I try doing the ./waf configure command.

# project jack (1.9.10) configured on Sat Aug 23 13:53:19 2014 by

waf 1.6.11 (abi 98, python 20706f0 on linux2)

using ./waf configure

Setting top to
/home/drjones/Documents/Jack2

Setting out to
/home/drjones/Documents/Jack2/build

Checking for ‘g++’ (c++ compiler)
find program=[‘g++’, ‘c++’] paths=[’/usr/local/sbin’, ‘/usr/local/bin’, ‘/usr/sbin’, ‘/usr/bin’, ‘/sbin’, ‘/bin’] var=‘CXX’ -> ‘/usr/bin/g++’
find program=[‘ar’] paths=[’/usr/local/sbin’, ‘/usr/local/bin’, ‘/usr/sbin’, ‘/usr/bin’, ‘/sbin’, ‘/bin’] var=‘AR’ -> ‘/usr/bin/ar’
/usr/bin/g++

Checking for ‘gcc’ (c compiler)
find program=[‘gcc’, ‘cc’] paths=[’/usr/local/sbin’, ‘/usr/local/bin’, ‘/usr/sbin’, ‘/usr/bin’, ‘/sbin’, ‘/bin’] var=‘CC’ -> ‘/usr/bin/gcc’
(tool ar is already loaded, skipping)
/usr/bin/gcc
(tool compiler_cxx is already loaded, skipping)
(tool compiler_cc is already loaded, skipping)

Checking for header samplerate.h
==>
#include <samplerate.h>

int main() {
return 0;
}

<==
[1/2] e[32mc: build/.conf_check_58def3ddbbfadb33f63d2b9b57b93f9c/test.c -> build/.conf_check_58def3ddbbfadb33f63d2b9b57b93f9c/testbuild/test.c.1.o
e[0m
[’/usr/bin/gcc’, ‘-Wall’, ‘…/test.c’, ‘-c’, ‘-o’, ‘test.c.1.o’]
err: …/test.c:1:24: fatal error: samplerate.h: No such file or directory
#include <samplerate.h>
^
compilation terminated.

from /home/drjones/Documents/Jack2/common: Test does not build: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/drjones/Documents/Jack2/.waf-1.6.11-30618c54883417962c38f5d395f83584/waflib/Tools/c_config.py”, line 445, in run_c_code
bld.compile()
File “/home/drjones/Documents/Jack2/.waf-1.6.11-30618c54883417962c38f5d395f83584/waflib/Build.py”, line 190, in compile
raise Errors.BuildError(self.producer.error)
BuildError: Build failed
-> task in ‘testprog’ failed (exit status 1):
{task 140360767590480: c test.c -> test.c.1.o}
[’/usr/bin/gcc’, ‘-Wall’, ‘…/test.c’, ‘-c’, ‘-o’, ‘test.c.1.o’]

not found
from /home/drjones/Documents/Jack2/common: The configuration failed

For what it’s worth I’ve installed ALSA as well with no luck, couldn’t find any issues on the forum on the subject either (Is there a search function?)

Cheers.
-DrJones

err: ../test.c:1:24: fatal error: samplerate.h: No such file or directory

You need libsamplerate (libsamplerate-dev) - your distro might call it libsamplerate0

But unless you specifically need JACK2 for some reason, JACK1 is your better option (JACK2 is not an incremental improvement on JACK1, it is a fork, and in some ways not as good, or reliable). More information about JACK at:

www.jackaudio.org

Hi,

Certainly Ubuntu must have recent (enough) JACK packages for 14.04?! Is there some other reason you want to compile it for yourself? If you are serious about using Ardour and other audio software on Ubuntu you really should check out the KXStudio project and repositories: http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Repositories

and why must everybody be using the latest and greatest and usually most full of bugs version of a distro.

12.04 for the win

and why must everybody be using the latest and greatest and usually most full of bugs version of a distro...12.04 for the win..
I have 12.04 - apart from the fact that I have to log in multiple times (usually two to be successful) because the x-server (or some related component) will inexplicably crash on start up a few times, and, because this is a laptop it will attempt to burn out the backlight at every opportunity (something to do with power 'saving' - for want of a better phrase - or kernel mode setting - either way Ubuntu are not interested - I have yet to find all the points in the boot (and shutdown) process at which it will insist on resetting to full brightness, and, that once actually running, the window decoration / content will randomly corrupt if a window is moved while it is redrawing... and random lockups and freezes, but apart from all that, It works just fine :)

(The same machine - increasingly often I regret to say - runs Windows without any problems. Its odd, if slightly amusing, that I am now having to consign hardware which is only a few years old to running Win7 because it’s no longer “powerful” enough to support linux…)

@linuxdsp

Heh the answer there is just not to use Ubuntu:) That being said I obviously understand why you need to.

Seablade