seq24+Ardour: Manual Latency Correction?

Hi there,

I use seq24 jack-sync’ed with Ardour to control external synthesizers via plain old MIDI.

Seq24 works quite well for me, since I do loop-based stuff. It’s great for percussion loops, where I can also edit parameters quickly.

The issue now is that the sound from the external synth comes too early. This seems natural, after all the audio takes some time to travel from Ardour’s output to the external console, while the MIDI is “in time”.

Luckily I use a digital console with per-channel delays, so I could manually delay the signals controlled by seq24 (up to 904.2msec)

However, I’m not sure which are the factors that influence latency. Of course, it’s the digital console (very short, constant latency), plus the jack setup (latency probably the one displayed in Ardour)… but does the “gap” between Jack’s beat (used by seq24) and the MIDI signal depend on other stuff, too? And, more important: Is that stuff constant or variable?

Thanks for your input!
Best
DrNI

Should have meant: “the gap between Jack’s beat (used by seq24) and Ardour’s audio when it arrives at the console”