Ardour 48khz 128 buffers

So my setting were 48khz 128 buffers. I started getting some pops and noise so I tried re-setting the buffers to 256. Ardour crashed after that. I can’t get it back to where it was. Last night a un-installed everything and to day I’ll try again. I’m using a Presonus 44VSL and ASIO. I wonder if I should try Jack?

Try Higher buffers and see if its still happening, start around 512

Tonight I’ll re-install Ardour and see if I can learn something. I wasn’t getting any sound at all when I decided to un-install. I hope to figure it out so I might be of help to someone down the road.

This does seem to be a known issue. So maybe I didn’t do something stupid to cause it.

Okay. When you open a project, the audio preferences window pops up. On the bottom it says inactive and that’s okay. If you change anything or click on the device control panel…it will crash.

Probably the same as https://community.ardour.org/node/8708

I cannot reproduce this so this is either device specific or windows version specific.
Does the “portaudio” engine work (instead of ASIO)?

I’ll check tonight and try to be more specific. I can make changes to my audio with my Presonus before opening and it seems to work fine. If I change anything in the pop up window I have problems. Seems to be a Windows problem, but now that I understand it…it’s not a huge problem. Overall Ardour 4 is very, very nice. (it’s even pretty, I must say!) Hahaha!

A small step further: So Ardour simply cannot configure the device itself (it just takes the settings previously configured using the PreSonus setup tool). Ben (Harrison) noted something similar: for ASIO a user application has no direct control over the buffer-size (Ardour should not expose it). Still, Ardour should not crash, but simply not offer any controls in that case.