Ardour + JAMin = headache

Mastering is tough. The basic concepts are clear, but getting everything to work has been a hassle. After much diddling, I got Ardour and Jamin to talk to each other through Jack – yea! Everything sounds like it should when setting the scene in JAMin, but the export is all messed up for some reason – low volume and garbled, nothing like the smooth, full, loud sound I heard when messing around with JAMin.

The problem might be that the original track outputs to the master at the same time it is outputting to Jamin, and Jamin is also outputting to the master. Great, so reset the connections… except I can’t – the original track always wants to output to the master… I seem to have no choice in the matter.

Looked at the options editor and turned off “auto-connect new track outputs to master” but it didn’t do a lick of good – the original track still outputs to the master.

JAMin and Ardour together seem to be a powerful tool. Great stuff has been made this way, but I can’t seem to figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When mastering, I add a stereo insert to the master bus (pre-fader) and then connect the jamin inputs and outputs to the insert. I find this setup the simplest to handle, and it works best with how ardour sessions are routed by default.

You need to make sure that Jamin’s outputs are not connected to your soundcard though. Jamin does this automatically, but I’ve created a launcher icon for myself which uses the -p flag to prevent this.

The -p flag is handy. Thanks.

When mastering, I add a stereo insert to the master bus (pre-fader) and then connect the jamin inputs and outputs to the insert. I find this setup the simplest to handle, and it works best with how ardour sessions are routed by default.
Can you please explain what you mean (and how you do it) by adding a stereo insert pre-fader.

Thanks,

maldor

1. Open up either the editor mixer for the master bus or use the mixer window
  2. Right click on the black box above the master fader to open the context menu
  3. Select "New Insert" (it will automatically be a stereo insert)
  4. "Edit" the insert either via right clicking on the insert and selecting "edit", or "edit click" (ctrl-right click) the insert
  5. Connect jamin inputs and outputs to the send outputs and inputs
  6. "Activate" the insert by either right clicking on the insert and selectiong "activate" or middle-click on the insert

Sampo

Thanks Sampo for this hint.

The only trouble I’m having with it is that when I export rangemarkers to audiofile, jamin hangs at the end of exporting, with full cpu usage. Consequently, ardour stops responding as well. After killing jamin, ardour recovers. The export seems to be unaffected (didn’t hear anything strange at the end of the export).

Do you have this problem?

I’m using jamin 0.95.0-4 (from ubuntu feisty repos), and ardour 2.0.2 tarball.

Maarten

The only trouble I’m having with it is that when I export rangemarkers to audiofile, jamin hangs at the end of exporting, with full cpu usage. Consequently, ardour stops responding as well. After killing jamin, ardour recovers. The export seems to be unaffected (didn’t hear anything strange at the end of the export). Do you have this problem? I’m using jamin 0.95.0-4 (from ubuntu feisty repos), and ardour 2.0.2 tarball. Maarten

I have the same problem. Posted it on ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2695511

this is really annoying. As an example, yesterday, I had 13 exports to do, which means 13 programs restarts :frowning:

We’ve been hearing reports about this from many of our users. We will look into the export issue. Fortunately it seems the exports still succeed even though the export is stuck.

If I’m patient, the lockup at the end of the export normally resolves itself after a few minutes. JAMin + Ardour always feels extremely buggy and unstable though, doesn’t really give me much faith in the whole multi-app JACK system.

Yeah, same for me, ardour recovers after a LOOOOONG period. I tried to find a topic on the issue tracker, but couldn’t. Is there one? Do the developers need more information?

OK, the hang problem on ubuntu probably comes from the fact that I installed Ardour-686 instead of the regular Ardour package. With the regular one, export does not hang (although there are other glitches…)

When I create the insert I get two outputs L and R but only one input on the send. The insert however only has one input and the “Edit” dialog won’t let me add another

1. I connect the master L out to Jamin L in and master R out to Jamin R in
  2. I connect the Jamin L out to Insert in (mono) and Jamin T out to Insert in

I thought this might be correct, but it definitely doesn’t seem to get both channels as I do something simple like mute the low end in Jamin and hear it affect only the left channel

the insert input problem is a bug already taken care of by the SVN ongoing and probably the new release 2.4.1 (I haven’t tried the latter, I always use svn ongoing that I compile myself).

Okay. I see 2.4.1 is available. Merging it now. I thought I used to have two channels there. When things act a little funny in Ardour nowadays I suspect features not bugs – that’s how good this team is.

Thanks.