jack 0.105.0??

i’m trying to compile bleeding edge svn build on my laptop to play around with, however i have a dependancy problem. scons is reporting i need jack 0.105.0, whereas on feisty i only have 0.102.0

‘fine’ i thought, i’ll uninstall that (along with some other things i’d rather not uninstall, but you know, sacrifice and all that :slight_smile: and download the latest build off the jack site.
unfortunately the jack site is saying that the latest version is 0.103.0, so do i need to compile jack svn as well as ardour svn? i noticed on the issue tracker site someone responded to a message saying they had 0.105.0 on ubuntustudio, so is there a package available that i haven’t stumbled across? i’d love to be able to use a package that will convince ubuntu that i have the jack package installed again, so i can reinstall my beloved scummvm (anyone know why it depends on jack? it doesn’t seem to need it, and i don’t need jack support in monkey island… although… :slight_smile:

thanks
porl

You can only get the required version of JACK from JACK svn. Build it using --prefix=/usr and it will install right over the top of any existing package, without messing anything up.

hmm… never thought to do that… very cunning :wink:

thanks
porl

do i need to recompile everything that depends on it if they need to use jack? eg. qjackctl is dying with a ‘protocol mismatch’ error. i don’t mind recompiling this if needed (although maybe this is a good place for a feature request of ardour starting it’s own jack instance if it doesn’t detect one)

porl

edit: it appears i am too late in my feature request, it is already implemented :slight_smile:

it appears that yes, you do need to recompile everything that depends on libjack. Oh wells. The cost of being up to date.

thought so.

isn’t really a problem after all though, i’m only using it to play with svn ardour separate from my main machine, and ardour starts jackd itself now, so i don’t need qjackctl to start it (i could have done it on the command line anyway). scummvm is the only other thing i have on there depending on jack (???) but it doesn’t seem to actually use it (when i’m playing anyway) so it isn’t a problem.

porl