Vista Compatibility / Ardour 3.0

Vista is compatible with many 2000/XP programs but there is an amount, say 30% that don’t seem to work anymore. Does this mean it would be harder to compile linux programs for vista i.e. Ardour?

Given the growing popularity or Linux for Multimedia and especially Ardour, and as a former SAE student, I can see that it has great potential under Win32. Do you agree or disagree and why?

When can we expect at least an alpha release for testing & how much money in donation $ would be required for initial development and also how much time would the project take?

Finally, can someone post instructions how to run Ardour and a minimal linux distro as a Virtual Machine under XP/Vista? And what impact would that have on using Rewire/ VST instruments?

Just some thoughts - I look forward to your comments!!

Andy J. (a.k.a DJ Nature)

(Jack makes rewire look like a mildly retarded kid with palsy trying to break dance)

LOL!!! Drinking and laughing don’t go together…

There is a search box on the top-right of this forum, but you can also click here: http://ardour.org/search/node/windows

You will see all items on this website containing ‘Windows’. This will tell you the story of Ardour-on-Windows…

This whole windows issue has been discussed ad nauseum. It’s not going to happen anytime in the near future.

Here’s how it currently stands:

1. jack has been ported to windows, but it is extremely unstable, and not supported. The only way to obtain it is to get the source from svn and compile it yourself. Even if you do I’m not sure how up to date it is.

2. Ardour would be even harder to get to build on windows given all the dependencies it has. Not impossible though.

3. It doesn’t have much potential on win32 because a) posix support on windows blows hard and b) nobody to my knowledge is really very interested in seriously developing it which is kinda key for an open source project.

You could run it on a virtual machine, but it wouldn’t be able to interface with rewire. (Jack makes rewire look like a mildly retarded kid with palsy trying to break dance) And vst-instruments probably wouldn’t work either.

If you really want to get into Ardour, you’re going to have to ditch the paradigm of how audio works in the windows world that you’ve become accustomed to and start from scratch using Linux.