an amazing artist I recorded in my ardour-based recording studio

Hi,

just wanted to share with you this song by King of the Opera, an amazing italian artist I recorded, mixed and mastered in my professional recording studio (www.sonicstudio.it), 100% on a Ubuntu/Ardour4 machine.

Please note that no analog consoles have been used to mix/record/master this, it’s 100% digital, with the help of the great overtonedsp plugins. It’s also been mastered digitally, but due to the lack of professional mastering limiters on linux (the calf suite is still not good enough), I had to use a win vst limiter running through Festige to accomplish that.
Hope you’ll like it as much as I do,

Cheers
Alessio

Sorry, I can’t edit the post anymore, I wanted to say “the calf suite limiter is still not good enough”, not that the whole suite (which is mostly excellent) was not good enough. Had to clarify that :slight_smile:

@vervelover

Did you try the Harrison DSP? Between that and OvertoneDSP (Formerly LinuxDSP) there is some good stuff out there.

Seablade

@seablade

Thanks for the suggestion, some of their standalone plugins are really interesting, but strangely they do not seem to have a mastering limiter either, even though as far as I know their Mixbus comes with a bundled limiter…

I really liked the song and I’m listening to the other music on their profile.

@vervelover

I suppose it depends what you are looking for when you say ‘mastering limiter’? Do you mean a lookahead hard limiter? A multiband limiter? Etc.

Seablade

@CraigPid

thanks!

@seablade

When I say “mastering limiter” I mean a plugin you would use in the same way you use Waves L2 or Voxengo Elephant on other platforms. And there’s no native linux plugin that compares with those two, unfortunately…

@vervelover

Well typically I use a good MBC combined with a brickwall limiter myself, but have you tried this?
http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/xtlc.html

I haven’t tested it yet myself but based off my other experiences with their plugins I would expect it may do the job.

Depending on exactly what you want, I might take a look at the Fairchild limiter from Overtone as well, but I will admit it probably isn’t my first goto for this.

Seablade

@seablade

Thanks for the suggestion, I never tried mainly because they don’t sell it as a brickwall limiter, but since it has super fast attack settings and lookahead it may well serve for the purpose, I could give it a try if there is a way to demo it before buying…

I use overtonedsp FC70 in every project I do, it sounds amazing but wasn’t made for this purpose

@vervelover

Does it have to be a single plugin? On material that needed heavy limiting I’ve had good results using the TAP Scaling Limiter to control the large peaks followed by Fast Lookahead Limiter (with the latter only limiting slightly, ie. <3dB gain reduction).