First track output bleeding into second track input

I’m sorry as this must be a very common question, but I couldn’t find a way to search on this that got any results.

I’m running a very basic system with the built-in NForce soundcard just to get to know Ardour (which I’m loving), but I’m stuck now with things in a state in which the output of my first track bleeds into the input of my second track. I’ve checked the routings in Jack and tried every combination I can think of in the generic ‘volume control’ utility to no avail.

I got into this state when fiddling earlier with the volume control trying to get the inputs to record a bass guitar (via send output from a mixer) cleanly. The recordings were over-driven and I couldn’t figure out why, so I started messing about with the settings in the volume control. I’m recording with hardware monitoring only (via the hw mixer) for what it’s worth.

Then I noticed the bleeding over, and have never got it back the way it was since. Now I’m wondering if it was ever working correctly (no bleeding) but I’d swear it was.

One thing I noticed is that my volume control utility has one contol for alsa and one for oss, but both affect the same (NForce) audio device. This seems strange to me and may be at the root of this but I don’t know.

Any thoughts or advice will be warmly appreciated! I love Ardour and the other Linux apps and the way they work together, and am on the verge of giving up Windows altogether for home use and recording.

Thanks,

-skent

I return to this thread with feelings of shame and humility. On the hardware mixer I was using, I had forgotten to zero-out the sends on the channel I was using to monitor the output of Ardour. That’s why I was getting ‘bleed through’ on the mix.

Everything was working perfectly, except the drunken fool reeling at the helm.

Gentlemen, I beseech your forgiveness at this grave folly of cluttering up this forum with my addled ramblings.

; )

-skent