Export Redesign

My research and conception work on the export dialog is now complete enough to be published. I made quite some progress on the layout front, but still have a way to go until I can present mockups.

Meanwhile it would be great if folks here could read my document and make sure it’s all complete, clear and solid. Comments and suggestions on structure, style and grammar are also welcome :wink:

Attached as PDF (you need to have an account and be logged in to see it).

I’ll see if I can repro it repeatably and if I can I’ll be sure and notify the proper authorities.

; )

OO Writer format for editing / adding comments:
http://ardour.org/files/export_design_07-17.odt_.txt

Just remove the “.txt”. I had to add it because Drupal only allows filename extensions from a short list. Use “Save Link As …” :wink:

Has export itself been redesigned at all? I’ve had some crashes when exporting a region, as opposed to a whole project.

Sorry if this is off-topic.

skipkent: “do not crash” is a pretty obvious requirement. One that is on another level than the things I’m dealing with :wink:

Can you reproduce the crash? Is there already a matching bug report? If you can and there is not, file one! Consider visiting #ardour if you have a core dump for debugging.

Hi,

I don’t see it… where should it be?

thanks,
Benjamin

Now don’t say the attachment is only listed for myself?

Direct link:

Wow, quite a lot :slight_smile:
Am I right that Ardour can save it’s own sound files in BWAV but not export it into BWAV? Why is this? Yes, export to different files formats would be very good. I use audacity to save my exported files to ogg or mp3 at the moment, would be good to see a change there. I might comment on the whole concept when I have some time.

Benjamin

This time with mockups. A few changes in the old sections hardly worth listing.

Edit:
08-10: small update to replace a misused Ogg with a Vorbis in section 2.3
08-11: Changed “Ogg Vorbis” in the format dialog to “Vorbis” and made it “Ogg Vorbis” in the table without Matroska. Changed text in section 14.5, page 26 to: “Matroska can contain FLAC, MP3, Vorbis, among others. Ogg and Vorbis are usually combined and I don’t see much need to put other encodings into Ogg. Without Matroska and with Ogg Vorbis combined, the table could look like this:”

Careful reading and providing input greatly appreciated :wink:

In one word: WOW! This is the most bestest (sic) export dialog I have ever seen. Can’t wait to have it included in Ardour.

Cool+(exclamation mark * 3)

Solv: What do you mean with a tabbed approach here?

08-11: Changed “Ogg Vorbis” in the format dialog to “Vorbis” and made it “Ogg Vorbis” in the table without Matroska. Changed text in section 14.5, page 26 to: “Matroska can contain FLAC, MP3, Vorbis, among others. Ogg and Vorbis are usually combined and I don’t see much need to put other encodings into Ogg. Without Matroska and with Ogg Vorbis combined, the table could look like this:”

Solv: What do you mean with a tabbed approach here?

On page 28 there is a figure of the dialog ‘Simple’ - A version without any instancing
and on page 29 there is a dialog - ‘Tabs instead’

I prefer the tabs way of dealing with the different options available.

Solv: those tabs are not about dealing with different options, but the same options. I’m tempted to say that you should read … but it could be you just didn’t express yourself clearly. Or you did and this suggests the use of tabs would be misleading.

i was actually thinking the tabs might be confused myself. i don’t think it would take too long to figure it out though.

the only negative of either approach is when lots of instances are created. the non-tab one could just use a scrollbar though.