OS X "Native" version of Ardour gets closer

We are getting closer and closer to being able to release a “native” OS X version of Ardour that will not require X11. There are still several substantive issues to be resolved, but a few bleeding edge users are currently evaluating the initial “All In One” package that includes JACK as well as Ardour (and will very soon include a set of recommended LADSPA plugins too). This has been made possible by the amazing work of the GTK-Quartz porting team, who managed to get GTK to run on a system that is really fundamentally different in several key ways from X11. Stay tuned for more news.

As a footnote, it was very frustrating to discover that the wonderful experience that OS X generally offers to end-users is not maintained for developers. Certainly not developers wishing to build packages of an application that uses a large set of inter-dependent 3rd party libraries. Although the final result is quite pleasant, the pain involved in doing the packaging was quite astounding. Apple made some odd choices about this all should work, and left developers like me to clean up after them.

Certainly not developers wishing to build packages of an application that uses a large set of inter-dependent 3rd party libraries. Although the final result is quite pleasant, the pain involved in doing the packaging was quite astounding. Apple made some odd choices about this all should work, and left developers like me to clean up after them.

haha let’s talk about it i just spent the last few days packaging a linux game for mac. in the process i learned that dylibs have hardcoded paths inside them and that DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH was disabled by a recent security update that there is no official way to put dylibs inside a bundle and other nice ones like that… The resulting instructions on how to build a package take 15 pages when pasted in AppleWorks. Packaging unix apps for mac is incredibly painful indeed…

anyway great work of you can’t wait to use GTK apps natively on mac

That’s great news! Is there any road map? Or can you give us an estimate?

Thanks for a great sequencer!

This is amazing news. Thanks for all your hard work.

You might want to read up on how I did it:

http://developer.imendio.com/node/145

Thanks for all the hard work. Dealing with Apple in any form other than the standard “buy, use, throwaway” is a pain.

“The only intuitive interface is the nipple. After that, it’s all learned.” -Bruce Ediger

That’s pretty amazing, glad to hear it. I’m looking forward to trying this out when I get my copmuter back.
~bennyp

Please read EVERYTHING on this page before proceeding to use Ardour. Every single sentence here contains vitally important information. If you skip any part of it, and the actions implied, Ardour may fail to start, may crash after starting, or may fail in other ways.

holidays

On OS X, direct support for import of all file types supported by CoreAudio, including MP3 and AAC. Linux users can take comfort: there is ongoing work to offer similar capabilities on their platform.

Window Tint

At present, Ardour runs on GNU/Linux and Mac OS X operating systems. There are hundreds of GNU/Linux distributions out there to choose from, and Macs are available from Apple.
gravel screener