Increasing and decreasing tracks' height

6 replies [Last post]
Kuranes@ardour.org
User offline. Last seen 6 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Shift+ScrollwheelUp increases the height of a track.
Shift+ScrollwheelDown decreases the height of a track.

Reading it does make sense but when doing it, when Shift+scrolling down, I always expect the track to vertically expand by pushing down the other tracks, but instead it pulls up the other tracks.

I think it should be the other way around:
Shift+ScrollwheelUp to decrease the height.
Shift+ScrollwheelDown to increase the height.

thorwil (not verified)

I agree, it feels wrong. Likely because it's like you would pull the bottom edge - down to increase height.

Of course, after a while you get used to it and I expect many complaints if the behavior gets switched.

Kuranes@ardour.org
User offline. Last seen 6 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
I understand, I've just used Ardour a few times.

linucksrox
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Maybe that could be an option buried somewhere in preferences... But maybe that's a bad idea as well, it's up to the developers. I personally prefer the way it is now.

porl
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
being able to drag the bottom edge of the track list options etc on the left of the screen (where the record arm buttons etc are) i think would help a lot. it would also mean you have finer control over the exact size of a track height. of course the current methods should be left there as well, to make for fast 'preset' settings.

porl

ps. bit off topic, but is there a way to set the height of multiple tracks at once? if not i think this would be really useful (eg select all vocal takes, right click, height - largest to make it easy to do a comp).

edit: pps. i thought your name was 'linuxsucksrocks' :)

linucksrox
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
I absolutely agree with your idea porl. Dragging from the bottom where the record/arm buttons are would be awesome, to fine tune the height, and also having a multiple track height option would be nice. By the way, yea my name is just linucksrox. I guess it sucks sometimes, but that's only when I can't figure out how to use it :) Otherwise it rocks all the way. No more Windows (and spyware) finally!

textchimp
User offline. Last seen 5 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
I'd like to second Porl's suggestion: it would be good to have a bindable action for minimizing/maximizing all track heights simultaneously - and when I say minimize, I mean shrink to the smallest height where waveforms are still visible, otherwise it's less helpful for finding particular regions at a glance...