Make own Time Signature

No replies
Steele
Steele's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 year 33 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,

I want to make more advanced time signatures in ardour. Is there a way to do it on my own?

For example a 15/8 signature: I could do this just 15/8 and the first one is the "higher" click, but what I want is more advanced marking-clicks like 3+3+3+2+2+2.

Seb
Seb's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 days 18 hours ago. Offline
you could use Hydrogen or something, though yes, it's

• limited, because Hydrogen doesn't cater for changes in tempo or time signature, ("something" might?) and
  • painful, because when you change tempo in ardour it doesn't propagate to Hydrogen.

That reminds me (leaving "how do I" territory now, moving into "reluctant feature request") of something I think could -maybe- be solved at jack's level: have a notion of time signature and tempo known to the jack clock, so that sequencers' beats/bars automatically align. The risk here is obviously that when the user decides to change time signature in one program, data in others could start looking a real mess, though it should be "only" in the representation, not in the actual music. All this gets really complicated, though, as information about a session's worth of time/tempo info would have to be updated in each jack client every time tempo/time one jack client application is changed.

Reuben
User offline. Last seen 4 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
something I think could -maybe- be solved at jack’s level: have a notion of time signature and tempo known to the jack clock, so that sequencers’ beats/bars automatically align.

This functionality already exists. It has from the very beginning. If you look closely at the display for qjackctl, it shows what the current tempo and time signature is. However the Hydrogen devs have drug their feet in implementing support for it within Hydrogen.

Seb
Seb's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 days 18 hours ago. Offline
i knew it: Jack rules.