audio played "slow"

5 replies [Last post]
person
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Ardour newbie asking for help! I imported a bunch of audio which I exported from my audacity projects

file fast_using_bass_t2.wav
fast_using_bass_t2.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz

and things seemed fine in ardour except i was getting lots of xruns and dropouts when changing plugin settings and switching between windows...

Anyway, I searched the Ardour forums and came upon this: http://ardour.org/node/738 . Modified my limits.conf, logged out/in and then changed jackd's settings (http://www.ubustu.com/globe/2007/05/29/how-to-configure-jack-in-ubuntu-studio/ - I'm using plain Debian, fwiw).

When I subsequently started ardour, my audio is now being played slower (and lower pitched) than before. jackd's using a sample rate of 44100hz, same as before. So I tried changing everything back (jackd settings, limits.conf, removing plugins from my tracks) and they're still being played "slow".

What could I be missing?

Many thanks.

person
Oh, I'm using this version of ardour:

Ardour/GTK 2.0.5
(built using 2234 and GCC version 4.1.3 20070812 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-15))

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 26 min ago. Offline
I know that you claimed otherwise, but I'm 99% confidentthat you're simply using a different sample rate than you were before. You might be able to change that, you might not, depending on what type of audio interface hardware you have.

person
I hope you're right - I'll have another fiddle around when I get home. As a more experienced user, would you know all the places I might have the sample rate wrong?

I can check easily enough the sample rate of the audio files I have, and play them using some other program to verify I'd exported them correctly. I can see what I'm setting jackd to use when I start it.

What other software components might I have inadventantly misconfigured the sample rate for?

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 26 min ago. Offline
don't check what setting you ask for from jackd. check what setting its actually using. some h/w can only do a single sample rate. jack still starts up on such h/w, but it picks the nearest SR to the one you asked for. there is no error message because people complained about it - i will likely add it back soon.

person
Wow - paul as in "Paul doesn't get to eat without user donations"? Thanks for fielding my problem ;)

Last night I tried reimporting the audio, and noticed that the tracks from the other day had somehow all become equally stretched out in time. I hope it's user error, though I don't know how I might have accidentally done this.