Spanish Debian user: How to configure Ardour in english?

I prefer to configure and use Ardour in english.

As I am a spanish user and Ardour runs on a spanish
language Debian laptop…Can anyone point any hint
to make it appear in english?

No language config ardour page found.

Thanks in advance.

Juanjavier.

Jonathan:
If you want to avoid the trouble of having to type this every time you start ardour then you can actually edit the /usr/bin/ardour or /usr/local/bin/ardour2 which are simply wrapper scripts to set up the correct environment. You can add “export LANG=en_US.UTF-8” somewhere after the first line and you’ll be set.

–I will give it a try as soon as I can and keep you all informed, thanks for the tips.

Nowhiskey:
not really, the expression i used above was wrong (sorry translators, wanted not to blame anyone).

–Well, the real issue for me is simply the character UTF-8 codification dealing with spanish written accents, that appear as weird typos rather difficult to read. However in english everything runs smooth…

I type

ardour --new LANG=en.US.UTF-8 /usr/local/bin/ardour2

Is that correct? If it is, then no way. NB: I have got Ardour 0.99.3. Don’t know if that matters…

Any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance,
Juanjavier

if 0.99.3 is the only ardour installation you have, than try to copy+paste this into a terminal:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ardour

so that should work.
i am using that prefix to start both, v0.99.3 and v2, since i am on a ‘german-speaking-machine’ and i am not happy with all the translation stuff.

you could also type:

locate ardour

into terminal to see where it is installed.
either /usr/bin/ardour or /usr/local/bin/ardour is the executable (in a normal case), so the command could look like:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/bin/ardour

or

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/local/bin/ardour

but in most cases the command in the top should do the job. you can try all 3 of them and see which one works for you.

cheers,
doc

if 0.99.3 is the only ardour installation you have, than try to copy+paste this into a terminal:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ardour

so that should work.
i am using that prefix to start both, v0.99.3 and v2, since i am on a ‘german-speaking-machine’ and i am not happy with all the translation stuff.

you could also type:

locate ardour

into terminal to see where it is installed.
either /usr/bin/ardour or /usr/local/bin/ardour is the executable (in a normal case), so the command could look like:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/bin/ardour

or

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/local/bin/ardour

but in most cases the command in the top should do the job. you can try all 3 of them and see which one works for you.

cheers,
doc

hallo, this should work if you start ardour2 with the ‘LANG’ prefix.

it works here like:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/local/bin/ardour2

cheers,
doc

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ardour

----Otherwise? What if I had two ardour installations (0.99 and 2)?

Thanks,
Juanjavier

If you have a packaged installation of, say, ardour 0.99 and a hand installed ardour 2+ then you will probably have a /usr/bin/ardour and a /usr/local/bin/ardour2.

/J\

Hey, Nowhiskey, it did the trick!!!

Thank you so much for the help. The main reason beneath this is the poor Ardour translation to spanish. I would be glad to help and improve, but haven’t got the
time by now. Maybe in the near future.

Just as you told, it seems kinda the same issue with the german version, isn’t it?

Juanjavier.

If you want to avoid the trouble of having to type this every time you start ardour then you can actually edit the /usr/bin/ardour or /usr/local/bin/ardour2 which are simply wrapper scripts to set up the correct environment. You can add “export LANG=en_US.UTF-8” somewhere after the first line and you’ll be set.

/J\

not really, the expression i used above was wrong (sorry translators, wanted not to blame anyone).
well the german translation, the language, is really ok, the problems i am experiencing is that some windows are too large to fit in my screen. when using the english prefix, ardour looks just much better here.

cheers,
doc

jonathan, this is actually cool trick (for ardour2), i changed the menu entry in the fluxbox configuration to do this.
but as i know, ‘ardour’ is an executable and not a simply script, so for v0.99.3 i think it works only with manipulating the menu entry.

cheers,
doc

Jonathan:

«If you want to avoid the trouble of having to type this every time you start ardour then you can actually edit the /usr/bin/ardour…»

—I failed to edit that file: it is an executable with lots of strange symbols and typos everywhere…perhaps I did not get you.

How could I start ardour from the menu (blackbox window manager) directly in english?

Help appreciated. Regards,
Juanjavier.

hallo juan,
look, i am not using blackbox for years now but i am on fluxbox.
fluxbox is having a configuration directory in my home folder, called ‘.fluxbox’. inside if it there is a file called ‘menu’. there i have changed the ardour entry to start in en:

[exec] (Ardour2) {LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/local/bin/ardour2} <>

i think that blackbox has a very similar mechanism of the menu structure, so you only should find out where the menu file is located and to extend the ardour entry with the prefix. the same i am doing for ardour0.99.3:

[exec] (Ardour99.3) {LANG=en_US.UTF-8 ardour} <>

the letter in ‘(…)’ are only the name which will appear in the menu, you can type there what ever you want, the lettery in '{…}'are the command which will be executed.

cheers,
doc