I cannot make Jack working while using Ardour 4.6

Hi,
When I’m starting Jack before starting Ardour (audio system set on - JACK) I cannot load my session: “ardour session did not load successfully”. When I change audio system to “ALSA” I’m getting message: “Failed to open audio device”

On the other hand, when I start Ardour before Jack I cannot make Jack working.

Log from Jack:

10:53:04.041 Statistics reset.
10:53:04.063 ALSA connection change.
10:53:04.085 D-BUS: Service is available (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus).
Cannot connect to server socket err = Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
10:53:04.101 ALSA connection graph change.
10:53:06.505 D-BUS: JACK server could not be started. Sorry
Mon Jan 25 10:53:06 2016: Starting jack server…
Mon Jan 25 10:53:06 2016: JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Mon Jan 25 10:53:06 2016: self-connect-mode is “Don’t restrict self connect requests”
Mon Jan 25 10:53:06 2016: ERROR: Failed to acquire device name : Audio0 error : Device reservation request with priority 2147483647 denied for “Audio0” via RequestRelease()
Mon Jan 25 10:53:06 2016: ERROR: Audio device hw:0 cannot be acquired…
Mon Jan 25 10:53:06 2016: ERROR: Cannot initialize driver
Mon Jan 25 10:53:06 2016: ERROR: JackServer::Open failed with -1
Mon Jan 25 10:53:06 2016: ERROR: Failed to open server
Mon Jan 25 10:53:08 2016: Saving settings to “/home/jan/.config/jack/conf.xml” …
10:53:24.582 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.

You are attempting to use a Linux distribution that likely runs PulseAudio as the default audio system. Your system has not been configured correctly to allow JACK to take over the audio hardware. This is most likely the fault of your Linux distribution.

I too, up to a few days ago, have been using, well… Wrong distribution, openSUSE 13.2 and then the newest Leap version. If you really want to squeeze out everything good from your audio set under Linux, switch to some audio dedicated distro: everything works and you can do your job with lower latencies. In the end: pozdrawiam rodaka :wink:

Thanks for answer. I don’t really want to get rid of Ubuntu. Is there a way to make it work on this system? It was working perfectly on my Ubuntu 15.10 till I decided to delete Windows partition and make fresh install without a second operating system. Perhaps I could upgrade Ubuntu to for example Ubuntu Studio? What audio dedicated distro would you recommend? Pozdrawiam i dziękuję za pomoc :)!

Well, I know a lot about sound, but not much about software, especially what’s under the hood, so… What I’m going to tell you is just my impressions. I’ve installed KXStudio a few days (maybe a week) ago and I’m glad I did it. Ardour works like a rocket via Presonus Audiobox USB. I only have a problem with Deadbeef, my favourite audio player, which somehow conflicts with Jack or the very USB device. In the system you have simplified KDE environment, tons of plugins, you have Cadence, which administrates Jack and other audio stuff from one place, plus some regular soft, as usual: LibreOffice, VLC, Firefox etc. .Plus a lot more things probably that wait for me to discover them. It fits my needs if it comes to my job: simple recording, cutting and knitting sounds.
Cheers!

Ardour works best when the operating system is optimized for audio work. Ubuntu is not optimized for audio because it is targeted as a general desktop os. This is why people here wants you to install a distro specifically targeted for audio, it will save you (and people supporting you here) all kinds of trouble later on.

If you are most comfortable with Ubuntu now, then UbuntuStudio might be a good choice to start with. This distro uses the Xfce desktop environment that is light on resources but looks and feels quite different from the Unity environment of Ubuntu.

KXStudio is a very popular audio focused Linux distro. KXStudio is based on KDE that requires a bit more processor power and memory than UbuntuStudio. The KDE environment might feel a bit more familiar to somebody who comes from the windows universe. KXStudio also has more audio programs ready to use than UbuntuStudio.

I suggest that you download both and install them to usb sticks. Then you can boot from the usb sticks and try out both distros before you install them.

I think most people here would recommend KXStudio, I myself have used UbuntuStudio for several years and have been quite happy with it. Lately I have moved to Gentoo, but that’s a different story :slight_smile: In the end the choice comes down to personal taste and which distro works best for the things you want to do.

If your hardware (computer) is 2 years old or older then I recommend that you download UbuntuStudio 14.04 and not the latest 15.10. I have had some trouble with the 15.10 release (Audacity crashing). UbuntuStudio 14.04 also get security updates longer (april 2017) than 15.10 ( autumn 2016).

http://ubuntustudio.org/download/

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Downloads

@Janfry
You could try to just install the ubuntustudio packages through synaptic, then you’ll find if something is missing or broken…

Old thread, but I had the same issue.

Solution for me was the following:

Uninstall jackd2 and install jackd1 including depending packages instead.