Split midi drum track

I am using 4.7.0 on linux(64-bit official build). I succesfully recorded my TD-30 roland midi drums on a midi track in ardour. However, now that I have it, I want to export it to WAV. I managed to do that by just recording onto a single audio track. However, I would like to be able to record the bass drum, snare drum, hihat and crash cymbals each on a separate audio track. Of course, I could for each part copy my MIDI track and delete stuff I don’t need and then record only that, but that really feels like a lot of work. Is there a way I could filter certain notes in the midi track on playback?

2 Likes

Right-click on a midi track header and select “Channel selector” to open a panel to select midi input and output channels.

I found this question googling about “split drum track ardour”
I think this is not the solution that metalmajor need.
What I (and I think metalmajor is asking for) is about separate a drum midi track into several, for applying different compresion, eq, pan… to kick, snare, toms…

Something similar as is shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzruA_xo6_0

Solved, a pluging called Midi key-Range Filter. It is no so automatic as it would be desiderable, but it is enough.

I’ve done this by having one MIDI track containing all the parts that’s routed to the inputs of a set of MIDI buses, one for each kit piece, with sampler plugins on each bus that only respond to the keys for that kit piece (like, say, a kick patch that only responds to the MIDI note for kick and ignores everything else). It’s worked pretty well for me.