spdif in on m-audio 2496

Trying to use spdif in on an m-audio audiophile 2496. The manual says to set the clock source to spdif in but when I do JACK won’t start. I tried testing it without JACK and was not getting any sound into envy24.I’m trying to use a cheap analog to digital convertor. I also tested with a dvd player with same results. The cable I am using says rg 59 coaxial. Anyone have any luck with that card?

I got it to work with the dvd player by setting the digital out on the dvd player to pcm only. Jack started once I had a signal coming into the input. I think the converter I bought was a dud. I took it back to the store and when the guy was checking to see if it was all there he noticed that the casing had been opened. Was very strange as the box was sealed. They thought I had cracked it open and was trying to return it and wouldn’t refund me. I guess I can see how they would think that as you don’t normally find a product with the warranty voided in a sealed box. It was in generic packaging and didn’t have a company name or address. I guess you get what you pay for which in this case was nothing.