jackd systemd

On this page:

…it lists a systemd for jackd, but is there a configuration file that follows this?

I start jackd like this:

jack_control start
sudo schedtool -R -p 20 pidof jackdbus
jack_control eps realtime true
jack_control ds alsa
jack_control dps device hw:PCH
jack_control dps rate 48000
jack_control dps nperiods 2
jack_control dps period 64

sudo schedtool -R -p 20 pidof jackdbus is not needed nor beneficial in general. jack itself sets the process threads as high priority. Running other parts of jack with elevated priority won’t help and can worst-case interfere with that.

The configuration for jackdbus is stored in ~/.config/jack/conf.xml and the output in ~/.log/jack/jackdbus.log

this thread showed up an online search while I search for more information on jackdbus vs jackd things.

Apparently this is an old thread, but Google puts it all the way up in my searches…

If I may add to this, the realtime parameter for jackdbus can be set conveniently with
“jack_control eps realtimeTrue”
“jack_control eps realtime-priority 95”

My jack_control commands look like this which get saved into ~/.config/jack/conf.xml (but this file is not meant to be edited and is more convenient to change them with jack_control)

jack_control ds alsa
jack_control dps device hw:NVidia,7
jack_control dps period 512
jack_control dps nperiods 3
jack_control dps rate 48000
jack_control dps midi-driver none
jack_control eps driver alsa
jack_control eps realtime True
jack_control eps realtime-priority 95

a user needs to modify these parameters for their own setup

What I picked up recently about the behaviour between Jackd and JackDbus, is that “jackd” would be fighting with pulseaudio for the same alsa device.

It is difficult to put 1 and 1 together, because the original Jackd documentation is not clear and confusing, leading users to try different things.

“jackd and jackdbus will use different storage for JACK server configuration. jackd will typically be started through the ~/.jackdrc script or qjackctl. jackdbus reads and stores settings in ~/.config/jack/conf.xml”

^ Qjackctl can do both Jackdbus and Jackd… Afaict, Qjackctl does not rely on ~/.jackdrc nor ~/.config/jack/conf.xml (even when setting all the dbus options in Qjackctl)

it instead relies on its own settings, from ~/.config/rncbc.org/QjackCtl.conf

If QjackCtl is set to run jackdbus, then jackdbus will get new values from qjackctl and store them into ~/.config/jack/conf.xml
If QjackCtl is set to run jackd, then jackd will get new values from qjackctl and store them into ~/.jackdrc

The duality of jackd and jackdbus being able to work at the same time confuses users on where the configuration may actually be.