I like to step!

Step editing would make editing sampled midi drums in Ardour much more easy. It could be like an separate window where it could be one side bar where one could name the key. for example:
-------- E4 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Snare D4 [X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][X][ ][ ][ ][X][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Bass- C4 [ ][ ][ ][X][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][X][ ][ ][ ]

It seams messy to have to use hole other program like hydrogen for this. I would be nice to have it as an plug in also, tell me if there is one solution

And if we don’t like having it as a separate window we could have like to modes for the midi tracks. Perhaps one matrix mode and one score mode too, then midi editing would be super good for everyone I think.

There is no such solution in ardour at this time.

If you just set your grid to beats/4, in many ways it’s the same thing.

unless there’s some consideration I haven’t taken into account, there’s no reason this couldn’t be completely handled by a plugin. I keep hoping someone will make one. Basically just the sequencing portion of hydrogen as an lv2 plugin that spits out midi and syncs with the timeline would be perfect. AFAIK there’s no technical barrier, just a matter of development resources.

the plugin is called “composite” and unfortunately its development seems to have stalled. well, actually, composite is all of H2 as a plugin, not just the sequencer part.