Ardour does not respond to OSC

Hello

I use ardour 5.0 “silent after 10 minutes” version, on debian linux.

I come from ableton live, and I am impressed with the flexibility ardour has!

I’d like to control ardour with OSC, but ardour doesn’t seem to receive anything, or at least, does not react to any message.

I have enabled OSC in preferences/control surfaces.

I tried to send OSC messages with simple python scripts and with ardroid app.

I can see in the logs that osc is listening:
[INFO]: OSC @ osc.udp://pc-eric:3819/

I can see with netstat that ardour listens on udp port 3819.

I can see osc messages coming to my pc, with tcpdump.

I tried to send transport_stop, transport_play, loop_toggle…

But ardour doesn’t do anything.

Have I missed something?

Thank you for your help.

Ardour is responding to OSC for several other users right now. You are probably using the wrong messages. If you want to discuss this, I would suggest using IRC during US Pacific timezone day time hours, when Ovenwerks, who has been responsible for the many changes and improvements in OSC for v5.0 is often around. Forums are slow and irritating.

Thanks for your reply. I will try to use IRC.
But since I checked ‘log all messages’ in OSC debugging options, shouldn’t ardour at least print that it received an incorrect message?

Ardour follows the standard programming practice: be liberal/forgiving in what you accept, be rigorous about what you send

Just as a web browser doesn’t spit out a message for every messed up piece of HTML it receives, or every it doesn’t recognize, Ardour isn’t going to bother you with lots of output about an incorrect OSC sender. In fact, it can’t : the library we use for OSC requires Ardour to actively register handlers for specific messages; messages we don’t register for are just completely ignored.

@cyberic Have you read http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/controlling-ardour-with-osc/ ? If you have been using OSC in Ardour 4 then you need to know that almost all OSC paths have changed since then. OSC itself has expanded in many ways too. Ardour 5 has a dialog on the preferences page for OSC that can set to logging accepted messages or unaccepted messages.

@cyberic Have you read http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/controlling-ardour-with-osc/ ? If you have been using OSC in Ardour 4 then you need to know that almost all OSC paths have changed since then. OSC itself has expanded in many ways too. Ardour 5 has a dialog on the preferences page for OSC that can set to logging accepted messages or unaccepted messages.

double post… howd that happen?