Need help installing download

I downloaded 5.3 and used the instructions on this page to attempt installing.

https://ardour.org/first_time_linux.html

I can’t get it to do anything except tell me it can’t be opened or it doesn’t exist, depending on how I mess around with the command trying to get it to work. I am using AV Linux and have Ardour 4 already. Do I need to uninstall 4 first?

Furthermore, I can’t go to properties to make the shell script executable as a program, as suggested here…
/bin/sh ./ardour_64bit-5.3.0.run
I’ve been trying all sorts of variations and the most I get is CANT OPEN
"darvin@TheD:~$ cd/home/darvin/Downloads/bin/sh ./ardour_64bit-5.3.0.run
bash: cd/home/darvin/Downloads/bin/sh: No such file or directory
darvin@TheD:~$ cd
darvin@TheD:~$ home
bash: home: command not found
darvin@TheD:~$ /home/darvin/Downloads/bin/sh ./ardour_64bit-5.3.0.run
bash: /home/darvin/Downloads/bin/sh: No such file or directory
darvin@TheD:~$ /home/darvin/Downloads/bin/sh ./ardour_64bit-5.3.0.run.run
darvin@TheD:~$ /home/darvin/Downloads/bin/sh ./ardour_64bit-5.3.0.run
darvin@TheD:~$ cd /folder/where/you/saved/the/file
bash: cd: /folder/where/you/saved/the/file: No such file or directory
darvin@TheD:~$ /bin/sh ./<DOWNLOADED_FILENAME>.run
bash: DOWNLOADED_FILENAME: No such file or directory
darvin@TheD:~$ /bin/sh ./ardour_64bit-5.3.0.run
/bin/sh: 0: Can’t open ./ardour_64bit-5.3.0.run
darvin@TheD:~$ "

Edit: As suggested here http://askubuntu.com/questions/38661/how-do-i-run-sh-files

cd ~/Downloads /bin/sh ./ardour_64bit-5.3.0.run

seriously, I do not know how we make this any clearer without always having to update the page to show the precise versioned-file name. I just don’t know what to do when someone reads “cd /folder/where/you/saved/the/file” and proceeds to type that actual command.

right clic on the file downloaded
clic “properties”
clic on tab “permissions”
check “authorise file execution as a program”
clic close
right clic on the file downloaded
clic open
clic on “launch in terminal”
wait
type your sudo password (the good one!)
say yes or no to the un-installer of older version(s)
press “enter” to continue & to exit (if lucky enough)
and that’s it!! (on Debian & probably most derivates)
good luck;

@Paul: I did type the command like that, but I also tried “cd/home/darvin/Downloads/bin/sh ./ardour_64bit-5.3.0.run”. I’m sure that was wrong too but it seemed appropriate at the time. I tried many variations, more than what I pasted for you to see. Perhaps keep an open mind to the possibility that someone is actually very new to Linux, as you must have been at some point, and try not to be so grating. You don’t know what to do when someone is mixed up? I dunno, teach them? But thanks for your help anyway, although that didn’t work.
@stratojaune: I had tried doing that at first but clicking on “launch in terminal” resulted in nothing. It did work when I dragged and dropped it though! Thank you.

@Darvin: sorry, I’m not trying to be grating. I just really don’t know how to describe this process to someone in your position. I know that the Unix command line can be intimidating and confusing to newcomers, but I really don’t know what to do as long as we rely on a text-based install process.

Hi,

For the record in the latest AV Linux (2016.8.30) it’s like this:

right click on the file downloaded
click “properties”
click on tab “permissions”
check “authorize file execution as a program”
click close

*The above is ONLY required if Ardour’s ‘.run’ file is not ticked executable by default.

If the downloaded Ardour (or Mixbus) ‘.run’ folder is already executable then simply double-clicking on the .run file will now start the installer.

The issue was that the Thunar File Manager in AV Linux had to be explicitly told it’s OK to execute assorted shell scripts, by default as a security measure. Since most users want to simply click and install Ardour and Mixbus bundles this feature is now enabled by default in AV Linux.