x-platform instruments (DIY)

Hi,

I’d like to port some of my standalone DSP/Synthesizer-Stuff over into plugins. I would like to keep them x-platform, so that they can be used under both Linux as well as Windows (and maybe OSX). What would I use best for this? VST or LV2 or maybe something completely different? My knowledge in those plugin-achitectures is a little bit rusty, since I did my last plugin using LADSPA a few years ago…

Stefan

@StefanFendt: if you want full portability, stick with VST and JUCE for easy interface creation. LV2 is nice too, but it’s Linux only. And nothing stops you from compiling both VST and LV2, as many plugin developers do.

LV2 is NOT Linux only. However, there are far fewer hosts on other platforms that support it. In reality, LV2 is the only really portable API - even VST 2 and VST 3 are not really portable to OS X without some hacks and assumptions.

Several plugin development kits, including JUCE and DISTRHO make it possible to generate plugins in several formats from the same “project” - I’d recommend their use.

Hi Paul,
this is what I thought, because all these Harrison-AD-Plugins (any way to remove/uninstall them?) are listed as LV2 in my Windows-Setup or Ardour5. I’d rather prefer not using JUCE, as most of these Tools already have a GUI (based on wxWidgets). As I have not found any LV2 on Windows primer/howto myself: Are there any recommended reads regarding this topic out there to get me started or am I on my own with that (not that bad… I guess I would get it working in that case, too… but it might take some more time ;-))?