MacVST Duplication

With the latest version that adds MacVST support, almost all of my plugins are duplicated two or three times in the plugin list. I’ve disabled MacVST support altogether, which is fine since I don’t need it, but is there any plan to deduplicate or at least differentiate between AU and MacVST versions of the same plugin?

There are no such plans, and there’s no reliable method of doing so other than the grotesque hack of looking at the plugin name (which has never been and will be a unique identifier for a plugin). The two plugin APIs (VST and AU) have absolutely nothing to do with each other, so there’s no shared identifier or system to connect two equivalent plugins. If we ignore plugins with the same name as one already discovered, there are other issues that would arise, which are perhaps less significant than the issue you’re seeing, but still need to be considered. Disabling VST support is almost certainly the right thing to do here.

Makes sense.

Would there be any chance to put plugin format in parenthesis after the plugin name in the “by creator” list? Going into, say, Native Instruments, it would be nicer to see:

• Kontakt 5 (AU)
  • Kontakt 5 (VST)
  • Kontakt 5 (Some other VST)

Rather than:

• Kontakt 5
  • Kontakt 5
  • Kontakt 5

I know I can use “by type” or the plugin manager, so it’s not a pressing issue, I’m just curious.