VST how to?

4 replies [Last post]
telover
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 45 min ago. Offline
Hi all.
Can anybody suggest me good VSTs for Linux? The ones I need the most are orchestras and pianos/organs.
I saw some sites like Garritan and Versilian Studio's, behind the wonderful (and costy) East West but, is it something that can play in Ardour just been driven by my keyboard through MIDI input? I've read somewhere somebody used some VST through Linuxsampler but I don't know if I have to use it as well, if, in case I have to use it, I need to compile it or I can use it out of the box.
I say this because I'm pretty noobie at this.
Also. I've downloaded some VSTs, a sfzXylophone, a Salamander Grand Piano v2, a Harp and a Yamaha acoustic gran piano, and they are .sfz and .sf2 files. I tried to copy the .sf2 files in my /usr/share/sounds folder but it's not possible.
How can I use them? Do I have to copy them in the sounds folder or I can open them from inside Ardour?
Sorry for the silly questions and thanks for the help,

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 50 min ago. Offline
First, let's try to stick with clear terminology.

VST: Virtual Studio Technology which is a trademarked term owned by Steinberg, used to describe a specific plugin API used on Windows, MacOS (nee OS X) and recently Linux.

I think that you're really asking about plugins not "VSTs", which are a specific subset of all possible plugins. Moreover, I think you are specifically asking about instrument plugins, as opposed to effect plugins.

SF2/SFZ: SoundFont 2 and SFZ, names for file formats used to information/data for synthesizers that play back existing audio files.

SF2 files can be used by a few synthesizer plugins, notably a-fluid (based on FluidSynth, an open source synth engine). They are not plugins themselves - you have to load them into a plugin like a-fluid. At this time, FluidSynth (and likewise a-fluid) cannot load SFZ format files, only SF2. Linuxsampler can load SFZ files, but using Linuxsampler as a plugin can be quite tricky, depending on who built it and what options they decided to use when they did so.

Companies like Garritan, Versilian and East-West generally do not release plugins for Linux in any format. In fact, when they can, they prefer to avoid plugins and convince people to use their own playback engines outside a DAW. But market pressure makes it impossible for them to completely avoid providing their stuff as plugins. You cannot use these plugins (written for Windows (or MacOS)) on Linux without jumping through some hoops. I have written more about that here: http://manual.ardour.org/working-with-plugins/windows-vst-support/

telover
Thanks alot Paul

ssj71
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 9 min ago. Offline
@telover:
to use sf2 the easiest is using the a-fluidsynth plugin. Drop that in a midi track and then use the plugin gui to select the .sf2 file you want.

Using the salamander grand or other sfz files you will need linuxsampler. There is a good guide (and many others) for that here: http://libremusicproduction.com/tutorials/linuxsampler-and-ardour-using-them-together

telover
Thank you ssj.
I downloaded the Yamaha piano or Yamaha grand piano in .sf2 and put in my sounds/sf2 folder.
Finally I was able to find it, even though the volume is a little low, so I'll have to work on the final mixing if I'll keep this.
I'll check also the guide above, though I'm a newbie so it's not easy to understand some process.