Apply template to a strip AFTER creation

Hello,

First of all, thank you for a wonderful program. I’m a happy hobbyist, mostly using ardour for Electric violin practice, and for fun.

A nice addition to Ardour would, in my humble opinion, be to be able to change “settings” of an entire strip, after the strip has been created.

As an example: Say I have created one template with plugins and settings suitable for Electric violins. If I create a new track, those settings can be used at the time of the track Creation. But they cannot be applied afterwords. I just Think it would be a nice addition.

Best regards,

Fredrik

I’d like to see this too, some kind of effect chain recall would be perfect for me. Seems like one thing that really lets ardour down (unless there is a way and I don’t know about it), especially as there is a bug where copy and pasting multiple effects pastes them in reverse order.

Oh and do say: what do you actually do to a track with an electric violin to make it sound halfway decent?
I have some takes of a fancy Bridge e-violin but it sounds terribly lifeless so far!

@meechaloin: the paste order is the order in which you’ve selected the plugins on the source track. If you select the plugins from top to bottom then drag/drop you’ll get the same order on the target. Can you confirm that?

Now one could argue if that’s a good thing to do…

@x42, no that doesn’t seem to be the case. I can confirm that there is some difference between the selected order and the pasted order but neither way is pasted correctly (in any sense). Just tried a few now and this is the result of copying and pasting in a certain order and pasting the effects on a different track:

Original order:
DSR500
a-High/Low Pass
DYN4000
EQ4Q

Selecting top to bottom (DSR500 first):
a-High/Low Pass
DYN4000
EQ4Q
DSR500

Selecting bottom to top (EQ4Q first):
DYN4000
a-High/Low Pass
DSR500
EQ4Q

By the way, this problem also exists in the plugin selector, you load up some plugins in a nice order and they get added in the opposite order (last selected first):

Selected the ardour plugins in alphabetical order:

-a-Amplifier
-a-Compressor
-a-Delay
-a-EQ
-a-High/Low Pass
-a-Reverb

These are added to the track in the following order (from top to bottom):

-a-Reverb
-a-High/Low Pass
-a-EQ
-a-Delay
-a-Compressor
-a-Amplifier

@seb

First of, let me be very clear. I really don’t know what I’m doing. Like I said, I’m a very happy hobbyist. I’m at work now, so I can’t really share the exact specific settings. But I’m using one instance of x42’s parametric eq. I have two buses: One short ambiance reverb and one 4.7 sec large hall reverb. Both buses have one instance of IR convolution reverb, with the wet setting about -4.0 dB (I think.)

If it sounds any good, I don’t know. I do know that the sound is vastly improved over a completely flat sound, coming straight out of the violin.

If you promise to keep in mind that I only started playing the violin last may, I can share with you what it sounds like.