Update, VPO and MIDI

2 replies [Last post]
telover
User offline. Last seen 1 day 15 hours ago. Offline
3 topics.

1 - I downloaded the latest Ardour version but not yet installed. Since I have some works made with the 5.5, I'm quite cautious about the update. Do I have first to remove the previous version or I can install the latest over the older?

2 - Virtual Playing Orchestra. After dozens attempts, I understood that it doesn't work for me. Since the other topic remained silenced after many posts, I have to admit it. I don't know if it depended on linuxsampler or something else, anyways I'm not able to export any track. The file I get, as wrote in the other thread, it's 0 byte large and empty.
I made an attempt. I downloaded the Sonatine Orchestra and tried to record a couple tracks, each with a different intrument. Well, it worked. I exported the tracks and they are there, without any problems.

3 - and here we arrive at my problems with MIDI export in the other thread. There's been a fundamental misunderstanding: I did NOT have to export MIDI tracks, meant as MIDI signals, but audio track WITH MIDI recorded. And it works, so I solved my basic problem.

Communication problems I guess, beside my inexperience. With maybe not much receptivity on the other side. But, until it works, it should be ok.

x42
x42's picture
User offline. Last seen 16 hours 56 min ago. Offline
(1) depends on the OS:
- on Windows installing a new version will ask to uninstall the old one. There can be only one version installed at a given time.
- on OSX, you can just run Ardour from the .dmg (except if you need video-timeline/video-monitor), but when you drag it to /Applications the last version will be replaced there.
- on GNU/Linux you can have many versions installed in parallel, the installer asks you uninstall old versions (you can say no)-- the launcher will point to the most recently installed, you can run any version directly via /opt/Ardour-/bin/ardour5

(2) are you referring to https://community.ardour.org/node/14271 ?

telover
User offline. Last seen 1 day 15 hours ago. Offline
Thank you x42. I always forgot to say I'm on Linux, it always seems obvious to me (forgetting all the other systems).
And yes, that was the thread.