ambisonics

I want to ask for some real world experience: after years hearing about ambisonics and being fascinated i want have an ambisonic set up for recording and for mixing. Anybody using sound field microphones here? I have read good things about the tetramic… And anybody using the amb plugins in ardour? i found a lot of reaper tutorials with ambix plugins etc… for ambisonics and they re really impressive… anybody using ardour for it? I would love to simulate a binaural output for headphones and a “surround” studio setup in my studio… any thoughts are welcome! :slight_smile:

first google hit for “ardour ambisonics”: https://community.ardour.org/ambisonics

a few details may be inaccurate at this point.

Thank you Paul. yes I have a hard time compiling the ambdec decoder (I m on manjaro / arch linux) where i get

/usr/bin/ld: ambdec.o: undefined reference to symbol ‘pthread_mutex_trylock@@GLIBC_2.2.5
/usr/lib/libpthread.so.0: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Makefile:42: ambdec] Error 1
<code>

and i rembember years ago that this was also the finishing point for my ambisonics experiments ;(
I m pretty bad with compiling , though i followed the readme and hoped for the best. …

forgot the first line of the error message:

/usr/bin/ld: ambdec.o: undefined reference to symbol ‘pthread_mutex_trylock@@GLIBC_2.2.5
<code>

just got help on the irc channel and had to edit the makefile (search for LDLIBS += and append -lpthread (2 times)) and it worked! :slight_smile:

But I d be still happy to hear about someone actually using it in a studio setup and share some experience… :wink:

Anyone working with ambisonics on Windows? I can load ATK via ReaPlugs – and things seem to work, but I’m unable to transform a mono track to ambisonic. ATK tutorials are for Reaper.

I looked up “Ambisonics” on Wikipedia… now my head hurts…

@ garylr this is a very handy video for atk plugins used in reaper. works great on linux (and the reaper version), no idea if / how that would work on windows and ardour… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzLxmEIYBl4