midi tracks

5 replies [Last post]
Jean Pierre Bonin
User offline. Last seen 1 day 9 hours ago. Offline
I'm on Ubuntu 16.04. When attempting to create a midi track, Ardour (5.8) shuts down. I didn't find mention of that problem on the forums so I assume it comes from my system. Has someone experienced that?

Edward Diehl
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 54 min ago. Offline
I have not experienced this problem. I suggest starting Ardour from a terminal so you can see any error messages when it crashes. Also check Jack errors (for example in QJackCtl messages box, if you use QJackCtl). Are you creating a midi track with a specific plugin loaded? Try creating a midi track with no plugin loaded.

Jean Pierre Bonin
Since I upgraded to 5.8, a few days ago, I only worked with audio tracks, so I didn't notice the problem before this morning. Reading your answer I tried to open Ardour5 from the terminal but it gives me a Ardour5 can't be found. Did you mean Ardour4 from.... So, should I reinstall? Thank you.

paul
paul's picture
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 43 min ago. Offline
Are you using Ardour from ardour.org or as supplied by Ubuntu? The latter is not supported.

Jean Pierre Bonin
From Ardour.org

johnstrr
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 50 min ago. Offline
Try using full path to run ardour from terminal: "/opt/Ardour-5.8.0/bin/ardour5" (or wherever you installed it on your system).