A real time effects engine

4 replies [Last post]
stuarticus
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
I would like to see a real time effects processing mode, similar to the one in the latest Logic release. I would use it in conjunction with m y fcb 1010 and a sampling program to create live guitar madness. I have tried to find something similar but the alternatives in Linux are pretty poor.

I have tried to set this up with Ardour currently, but can't seem to link the effect bypass to a midi input (am I doing it wrong?), plus it would run better if this was a dedicated mode, maybe with a clearer display.

Thoughts?

L1nX
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Maybe have a look at using jack-rack instead of Ardour. I think it would be more suited to what you want - a virtual effects 'rack' instead of a full blown DAW?

jack-rack can run all the LADSPA plugins and works with midi:
http://jack-rack.sourceforge.net/

zettberlin
zettberlin's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 7 hours ago. Offline
You mean, a virtual guitar-amp?

Such a beast can be built using ams plus LADSPA-plugins in Linux. I made up such a patch that I use with quite good results in recordings with bands. It is made up with CAPS-Guitar FX Plugins and has a simple way to store presets.

get it:

http://www.linuxuse.de/snd/law/ams-guitrack_RC2plusHen2.ams.tar.gz

You need alsa modular synth and a recent version of Tim Goetzes CAPS-plugins to use it. Tell me, how it works for you.

nostrum fungitur

stuarticus
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
I have found a new piece of software that seems to be great for this purpose, Rakarrak, well worth checking out!

Stuart

joegiampaoli
joegiampaoli's picture
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 42 min ago. Offline
Yep, that's a nice one, although effects sound a little over digitalized to my taste, but maybe hooking an amp sim in the chain will help a bit....I think the sounds are taken a bit out from ZynAddSubFx

What is nice about it is you can order your FX chain in it and create your own patches.