create group or vca automation

for example i have 6 tracks of a drum kit recording, and i want to group them together and have an automation for controling the volume of all of them… how would i do that? I tried grouping, but then i dont know how to automate the grouped faders. i tried creating a vca, I can manually move the vca fader up and down but i have no idea how to automate its movement… I guess it s simple but i just dont get it ;( thanks for advices!

edit: I dont want to send everything to one bus because I need to do stems of the whole session afterwards…

VCA automation will be in a future version of Ardour (quite possibly the next release; if not then likely the one after that).

thanks for the news Paul , i m looking forward to that feature!! automating a group via one of the channel automations or something similar, wouldnt work, no? i tried to automate just one of the faders but that results in just changing that specific fader…

Maybe you can copy the fader automation to the other tracks in the group ?

@ ahellquist yeah i think this should be possible… but wouldnt be too much help in my workflow in audio post for applying some quick group fader changes…

In 5.10, you can automate the slaves and then move the master (VCA) and the slave can use the automation that way. However, this doesn’t let you write automation directly to the master itself.