GTK Themes

I can only run ardour with the breezy theme on fedora 26(have seen this issue on multiple distros)

Basically if you start ardour from the command line you get an endless stream of gtk-messages

Issue occurs in src compiled version and distro package version

I read that the payed versions lack this issue due to being built with patched gtk.

The demo version however will not run because it is unable to locate murrine and adwaita in theme engine module path

I have both theme engines installed

I hope I’ve missed something but is there anyway to get ardour to run without changing my theme?

Did you get this issue sorted yet, I have no input to offer, just seems like
something that really needs addressed.

Yes actually. A bug has been filed for it. Basically if the system theme defines a color theme Ardour gets stuck in this loop.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54389

As stated in the bug report, to work around the problem run this in a terminal

export GTK2_RC_FILES=/dev/null

Then run ardour5 command the same terminal

It links to this bug in ardour’s bug tracker

http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=5605

It has nothing to do with patched GTK. It has to do with a bug in GTK that is present in all versions of GTK+ 2.x. Ardour from ardour.org uses its own theme engine, not any provided by your system.

Why don’t you show us the precise error message, and comment on whether it totally stops Ardour from running?

Trying to but the errors trigger a spam filter

sure thing

ardour: [INFO]: Loading color file /usr/share/ardour5/themes/dark-ardour.colors Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `gtk-primary-button-warps-slider' of type `gboolean' from rc file value "((GString*) 0x345aaa0)" of type `gboolean' Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `gtk-primary-button-warps-slider' of type `gboolean' from rc file value "((GString*) 0x3465700)" of type `gboolean' Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `gtk-primary-button-warps-slider

Demo version

(ardour-5.10.0:21223): Gtk-WARNING *: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “adwaita”,
Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property gtk-primary-button-warps-slider' of typegboolean’ from rc file value "((GString
) 0x2499420)" of type `gboolean’

(ardour-5.10.0:21223): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita

(ardour-5.10.0:21223): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “adwaita”,

(ardour-5.10.0:21223): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: “murrine”,
Both errors will repeat until I press Ctrl-c. Ardour never opens.

If I change system theme to ‘Breezy’ both demo and distro packaged version work fine.