How to achieve a transition effect?

1 reply [Last post]
icewater
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
For an audio drama, I'm attempting a sort of surreal language transition effect:

Character A (who is our point of view) stands some distance away from three other characters. At this distance, these characters are heard speaking one language.

As A approaches these three characters, this first language fades out as a second language fades in to replace it (the same dialogue, but different languages). When A reaches the others, the first language is at 0% and the second is at 100%.

Thinking about this:

- The three characters are stationary but exist at different points in the stereo field. When Character A is still distant, the three others are nearer the center of the field, and as he gets closer they spread out. This has to match between both languages during the transition.

- The reverb for the two languages should be generated separately (reflections from the first language should not appear in the audio from the second).

I can probably figure this out but I'm wondering if there is an immediately obvious most-efficent, most-accurate way to do this to someone who is experienced with Ardour (and DAWs in general, as I am not that experienced)?

Thanks!

icewater
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Currently I've gotten it set up with one language like this:

- each voice into its own automated pan bus
- all pan busses into a reverb bus
- reverb bus into an automated "proximity" fader bus (voices fade in as POV approaches)
- proximity fader bus to master output

This sounds pretty close to what I want with one language - now I need to set this up for the second language, and fade between them.

Is there any notion of "inheritance" with the busses so I can reuse the exact same panning, reverb, and fade-in with the second language? And if I adjust it in one language the changes will propagate to the second?

I'm guessing once I have the output for both languages at the proximity busses, I then run each through a separate fader bus to do the fade-in/fade-out specifically for each language (I don't think I'd want a perfectly symmetrical fade between them...)